Breeding superworms? Pics included.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpeek

LennyTheLizardKing":2rvd2aer said:
Where can i purchase Wheat bran?

I get mine at Sunflower Market. I think these are only in the southwest US, but I am sure there are other stores like it that sell bulk foods.

ArchiesFamily

Juvie Member
mpeek":i40raiov said:
LennyTheLizardKing":i40raiov said:
Where can i purchase Wheat bran?

I get mine at Sunflower Market. I think these are only in the southwest US, but I am sure there are other stores like it that sell bulk foods.

All our local stores carry it under the name Bob's Red Mill Wheat Bran. I'm thinking it's about $2 a bag for what would be about about 5-6 cups (?) worth. I tend to find it in the organics section most often and occasionally near the gluten-free items. If not there check the specialty flours section.

I'm wondering if there is anything else that is good to use that doesn't mold easily?

evvdcaec

triumphtt":62lzbopv said:
hey guys I got about 7 beetles now doing good. I bought chicken feed at agway for $11 for a 50lb bag. very healthy for em only bad part is that its more of a sand texture so i dont think the screen idea will work but i decided against it anyway. i can try it but not sure what size screen. i saw the ones they use for needle point (7mm) and that seems to be the only size. its $0.59 for a sheet so not like its a big waste to try it

No need to use the screen. Just transfers the beetles into a new container and the old container becomes the incubator. I transfer my beetles every 2-3 weeks.

ArchiesFamily

Juvie Member
evvdcaec":263aoa5s said:
triumphtt":263aoa5s said:
hey guys I got about 7 beetles now doing good. I bought chicken feed at agway for $11 for a 50lb bag. very healthy for em only bad part is that its more of a sand texture so i dont think the screen idea will work but i decided against it anyway. i can try it but not sure what size screen. i saw the ones they use for needle point (7mm) and that seems to be the only size. its $0.59 for a sheet so not like its a big waste to try it

No need to use the screen. Just transfers the beetles into a new container and the old container becomes the incubator. I transfer my beetles every 2-3 weeks.

How many containers do you have then for the beetles to move into?

triumphtt

Juvie Member
ArchiesFamily":sff3dkv9 said:
evvdcaec":sff3dkv9 said:
triumphtt":sff3dkv9 said:

Probably wasn't directed to me but I planned on just putting all the baby worms into one drawer. I actually have a ton of containers sitting around I had at my parents house. I have 3 3 drawer sets (diff sizes) and one big one I thought I would use it I bred a bunch of them at once.

ArchiesFamily

Juvie Member
[/quote]

How many containers do you have then for the beetles to move into?[/quote]

Probably wasn't directed to me but I planned on just putting all the baby worms into one drawer. I actually have a ton of containers sitting around I had at my parents house. I have 3 3 drawer sets (diff sizes) and one big one I thought I would use it I bred a bunch of them at once.[/quote]

Are you going to pick out the beetles out of container #1 then dump the remaining substrate and baby worms into another container then put the beetles back in container #1? Then keep dumping babies and substrate into the one container? I'm probably over-thinking this and would be a lot easier if I would just do it instead of trying to thing it through all the way. :wink:

evvdcaec

ArchiesFamily":s69jiq2k said:

Probably wasn't directed to me but I planned on just putting all the baby worms into one drawer. I actually have a ton of containers sitting around I had at my parents house. I have 3 3 drawer sets (diff sizes) and one big one I thought I would use it I bred a bunch of them at once.

Are you going to pick out the beetles out of container #1 then dump the remaining substrate and baby worms into another container then put the beetles back in container #1? Then keep dumping babies and substrate into the one container? I'm probably over-thinking this and would be a lot easier if I would just do it instead of trying to thing it through all the way. :wink:

My beetles come out of container #1 and are placed into container #2. Container #1 then sits in the top of the worm rack until the eggs wormify and are just big enough to not be eaten (usually when it reaches the bottom of the worm rack). Each new container of eggs/baby supers is placed in the top of the rack and the rest are moved down by one notch. When container #1 reaches the bottom the rack it is then then dumped into the big worm bin and moves back into the top of the beetle rack. The beetles from the bottom of the beetle rack then get moved up into the top of the beetle rack to start breeding again.

...hope that made sense.

I have 6 drawers for worms and 6 corresponding drawers for beetles, as well as a large worm bin.

ArchiesFamily

Juvie Member
evvdcaec":rph5meuw said:
ArchiesFamily":rph5meuw said:

My beetles come out of container #1 and are placed into container #2. Container #1 then sits in the top of the worm rack until the eggs wormify and are just big enough to not be eaten (usually when it reaches the bottom of the worm rack). Each new container of eggs/baby supers is placed in the top of the rack and the rest are moved down by one notch. When container #1 reaches the bottom the rack it is then then dumped into the big worm bin and moves back into the top of the beetle rack. The beetles from the bottom of the beetle rack then get moved up into the top of the beetle rack to start breeding again.

...hope that made sense.

I have 6 drawers for worms and 6 corresponding drawers for beetles, as well as a large worm bin.

I got you now. Thanks for explaining that. And I love the word "wormify". :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brikev9799
Top Bottom