Breeding Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cbott

I know your supposed to wait till bearded dragons are 18 months old to breed but I have a 4 year old female bearded dragon that I wanna breed with a 8 month old bearded dragon male. When they see each other threw the glass he bobs his head like crazy and puffs his beard and turns it black and she just bows. I'm sure she wants to mate so can I do an early breeding or no?

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
8 months is young for a male.
He might get the job done, but IF he can the clutch can be small and He can injure himself to the point He will never breed again.
I wont even consider a male less than a year old.

Now on to your other problem. 4 is kind of middle aged for a female. Again it can be done, but if her heath is off even a bit, you may kill her.
Her body may not rebound well from the beating it takes from egg production and laying.

Now if your hell bent on breeding. The way I would approach it would be to get a female about a year old and feed and baby her for about 6 to 8 months.
When she is ready your male will be moreeeeeeeeee than ready.

Cbott

Original Poster
The thing is the female is a sandfire and the male is blood red so I want to breed them I know a breeder that bred his dragon at any age she was fine and that's the mother of my sanfire as long as she's healthy I will still be breeding her and u said the clutch would be small like size of eggs wise or niumber of eggs?

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
Im sorry my experience and information I gave you is not what you want to hear.
If you wont listen to reasonable advise. Then there is very little I can help you with.
Good luck and find a good vet.

Cbott

Original Poster
No I appreciate your response. Man Idont wanna do something if its bad for my beardie but I always wanted to breed that lizard and the olace I got the sandfire closed and I got her cheap becuase they went out og buisness I just looked at the paper work she is 3 and a few months is it still unhealthy? I will wait till my male is 18 months or at least a year

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
Sandfire Dragon ranch isnt even close to being out of business.
They still produce some of the nicest dragons I have ever seen.
He was just at the national breeders expo in daytona back in august.

Cbott

Original Poster
No I got a sandfire from a different breeder that got dragons from him and he wanted 300 for the baby but I was good friends with him and he went out of buisness now I'm not spending 500 on a baby sandfire just to wait and see if its male or female and prob be let down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom