Breeding mealworms!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DNADragons

Hatchling Member
Always provide moisture and ventilation, it will keep die offs to a minimum. Check out the "mealworm filter" on you tube. Works like magic ;)

NurseKrista1014

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
all my pupae are noww beetles! Decided that I will start breeding supperworms and wax worms!
Can anyone tell me if 250 waxworms for 20$ canadian is a good/bad deal?

NurseKrista1014

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
and can you use cornmeal as a substrate instead of bran wheat. I heard bran wheat causes wheat worms or whatever its called!

DNADragons

Hatchling Member
Yes, corn meal fine. Bake, microwave or freeze substrate to eliminate infestation of any stored product pest. I have never had any infestations. Ventilation is a must. Mealworms have a difficult time burrowing into cornmeal (my experience)

DNADragons

Hatchling Member
Impaction from either is very unlikely. Your dragon will regurgitate before it impacts. This from experience feeding hundreds of dragons thousands apon thousands of both. I'm not a vet however, and I only speak from experience.

I would not suggest that as a substrate for wax worms as they eat honey comb in bee hives. Not corn. Check you tube or google for care instruction, I have never raised them myself.

warnisha

Juvie Member
Honestly I don't know the amount needed but I know we did this...We bought the mealworms, put them in a container put the oats in them and let them be. We constantly have new mealworms and don't have to do anything with them, they just breed and do their thing in the same container! maybe we got lucky but we have been doing this for a few years and have always had plenty of mealworms....of course now we have too many becuase we don't feed them to our dragons!!! unless they are wee little and are white.

NurseKrista1014

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
At one point I was giving my dragons 10 mealworms a day. They were not affected by it at all. They poop once a day still and everything so I think 10 a day may be okay. I just worry about my little guy because my female is huge compared to him because he has half a tail.

And today I was very lucky!
Called a pet store and they told me they would give me 250 waxworms for $20. So I told them that I was need them by Thursday so today I went in to get them and he was like the ones I ordered for you are not here so I'm just going to give you my last 60 waxworms for $6. So I was like fine w.e I'll take it and I brought them home and counted them, because he didn't count them at all... and there was 268 of them! So for $6 I got 268 waxworms!!!!!! I was soo amazed!

Online it says to mix oats/bran/cereal etc with honey and glycerine
I have honey and glycerine and cornmeal. So I was just wondering if using cornmeal instead of the oats, bran, cereal would work?

If anyone knows, let me know please!

keen77

Hatchling Member
my dragon was eating 15-20 a day for only 3 days and got pretty impacted. Super Worms do not once the dragon gets over 16" . I will never feed them to mine again

NurseKrista1014

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
My male Charles is only 9 inches but he has little less than half his tail. And my female is 15.5 inches. I just measured them both today. But my female Burta has a full tail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
s4mclain
Top Bottom