Breeding hornworms

Status
Not open for further replies.

techdave

Juvie Member
So His Highness, Tiamat, :roll: decided that he wasn't going to eat the hornworm that I bought for him.
So now it's in a cocoon. I have it in a little cricket keeper that I used to use for crix. Will that be suitable for a bit? How long will it pupate for? I'm not sure if I want to actually breed them, or if I just want to keep it like a pet. What kind of habitat would it need?

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
Love the name Tiamat, FF ftw! LOL Also (In Babylonian mythology, Tiamat is a chaos monster, a primordial goddess of the ocean, mating with Abzû (the god of fresh water) to produce younger gods.) Taken from wikipedia. Anyways If you find the process for breeding horn worms I would love to know, as I don't wanna feed my BD's pinkies. :wink:

geckoboy3

Hmmm, I don't think so (I'm not sure.... haven't tried). I think that they would be too big and active for them too try but maybe...........

Khammy87

First off, you have to have two hornworms, male and female, in order to breed them.. Second, it's a royal pain in the butt!

I have bred them before, and it's very time consuming, and gets very expensive (More-so the chow is expensive!) and typically, you will get more worms than you bargain for.. If you have specific questions, you can PM me, I would be more than willing to share the information I have about them!

techdave

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I think I may just let the kids name him and make a little cage for him. lol If he's hatches from his cocoon in time, maybe I'll make it a little fairy outfit and take it trick or treating :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quantum
Top Bottom