Breeding/Feeding Crickets or Dubias

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoraMiller

Hatchling Member
I'm getting a bearded dragon soon and was thinking about breeding his food so that I wouldn't have to keep buying it. I was either going to breed crickets or dubias and buy the one I didn't breed occasionally to add diversity to his diet. So which would be easier to breed, crickets or dubias and which us better for a beardy to eat? Also can leopard geckos eat dubias? I have one and wanted to make sure that he could eat them just in case they might cause him impaction or something.
Thanks.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
In my opinion dubia roaches are MUCH easier to keep and breed than crickets. It would make a lot of sense to get a colony started and give it a few months to establish itself. As far as I know, they can be fed to leos as well but I don't have personal experience with them. I'd keep dubias as the staple bug and then order small batches of various worms such as Phoenix Worms and Silk Worms to add variety to the diet.

SoraMiller

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ok thanks :D!
Ya I'll see if I can start breeding them. The only thing from preventing me right now is my mom who would rather me breed crickets. I really don't know why people are all freaked out about the roach thing. From what I heard they actually stink less and are less likely to carry parasites.
Some people :banghead: .

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They stink much less, they are silent, they are tougher, and they are great at composting vegetable scraps for you =)

nzac

breed crickets (as approved by mom) but as soon as 1 or 2 get away and are chirping in the house in the middle of the night, suddenly roaches won't be so bad... not that I know how annoying 1-2 crickets can be from experience or anything... :wink:

roaches do stink less and don't jump out of the bin either.

SoraMiller

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
So true. Plus baby beardies eat a lot so not having to pay for those crickets is good.

DiscountDubias

Dubias are much easier to keep and are healthier for your pet. Unlike crickets they don't chirp, can't jump, and don't stink. You should have them take a look at our facts sheets at discountdubias.com if they are considering crickets over dubias.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
livsxx
Top Bottom