Breeding as a Business?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am new to the beardie breeding idea. I don't want to become a large breeder, but would really enjoy it more as a hobby. My question to those who have websites and post their babies for sale is did you have to purchase a business license? I know I would eventually have to claim revenue earned so I thought I should get a business license now so that I could claim expenses as well. The problem is my local zoning department says that I might not even qualify to go in front of the board to appeal the denial of my zoning permit. I would really appreciate any advice anyone has regarding this subject. I am in the process of putting together a letter of intent to see if I qualify for the appeal. Suggestions would be great! Thanks.

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
in pa its considered a hobby till you turn a profit.
profit is as rare as a polar bear in the everglades.
I have a breeders license to go to shows, but every state is diff

brilliantdragons

Original Poster
What about writing off expenses? Does zoning even care about keeping the exotic reptiles in your state. I was told I could not even allow them to breed without a zoning variance. I guess I'm going to have to write the letter explaining I am going to do it as a hobby with only two breeding pairs, and I'm only going to breed one pair per season. Not to mention the process of selective breeding would allow me to stay within whatever regulations they may give me. It isn't like I'm going to build an exotics greenhouse in my backyard with a cash register at the door! Just a few pets in their aquariums, and eventually allow them to naturally reproduce! I'm baffled as to how that is a zoning issue. Wasn't sure if others had any advice

Pravius

Juvie Member
As long as you have another source of income why should the government know? :p

In all seriousness I personally do have a LLC formed for my Dragon business only for legal reasons. Incase anyone ever decided to get nuts on me and sue me for something (not that I would give anyone a reason to... today's society is nuts though) they cannot go after my personal things. I also do report some but as Tom said there really is not much profit in this business. State laws do differ though so research locally.

citrusdragon

Sub-Adult Member
Lol, did you see how many dragon were for sale this summer??

wholesale below 10 each for a few months, that price is WAY below cost at any production rate.

I have found I cannot keep up with Dragons Den, Sandfire Dragon Ranch, Alpha Dragonz, Dachiu, and the countless other dragon factories out there.

Honestly, "the dragon business to make money" ship has sailed. If you were looking to invest the 5-10k to do it right, you might be better served to do some research to find the next "bearded dragon" reptile to breed.

We struggle to break even, but I love having an outstanding collection of dragons. Not one normal in the bunch.

Best of luck

Jeff

snowdragon

Hatchling Member
Im going to start breeding and I am not looking to make any money. Im doing as a way to help support my hobby and if I do start to make any money then that would just be a bonus for me.

midwestreptiles

Hatchling Member
citrusdragon":fc0c4 said:
Lol, did you see how many dragon were for sale this summer??

wholesale below 10 each for a few months, that price is WAY below cost at any production rate.

I have found I cannot keep up with Dragons Den, Sandfire Dragon Ranch, Alpha Dragonz, Dachiu, and the countless other dragon factories out there.

Honestly, "the dragon business to make money" ship has sailed. If you were looking to invest the 5-10k to do it right, you might be better served to do some research to find the next "bearded dragon" reptile to breed.

We struggle to break even, but I love having an outstanding collection of dragons. Not one normal in the bunch.

Best of luck

Jeff

Very well put Jeff,

I love having my large collection and do not ever see my self being able to produce numbers like the breeders you have mentioned. I wish i could and like you said if i had another 10k to invest :) I think one key to the success of being a bearded dragon factory is what breeders like Dachiu and Phantom do which is export most of they're beardies. The market and economy over seas is way better in my opinion. Josh from phantom sells barely any of his beardies here in the US, and he produces tons and most cost a ton too!

brilliantdragons

Original Poster
I don't want to breed for a profit, and I surely don't expect to break even. That was what originally made me think to get a business license... To write off the expenses. I don't think my address will be approved for the zoning variance. That means I wouldn't be able to allow them to breed, and definitely couldn't sell the offspring. This just baffles me! I'm wondering if this was an issue for any of the other breeders. I would think most breeders don't bother with licenses and zoning since there isn't any income profit. I guess I'm just upset, because now I can't even allow my dragons to breed, and I was extremely excited for the experience! Jeff, you actually were a lot of help for me explaining the different genetic traits. I spoke to you about getting a gorgeous girl from you! You are right you don't have any normals! They are a very high quality of colorful dragons! Thanks for all of your help! I am sticking to just being a dragon lover for now, but I do hope to one day be a hobbyist breeder :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buddy- The Bearded Dragon
Top Bottom