BReathing noises

Status
Not open for further replies.

QuinnF

Hatchling Member
Hey guys I have an adult beardie I have had him for almost a year and he is very healthy. I know that if they make sounds when they breath it means they have a respiratory infection so I am just looking for a second opinion. Sometimes when I scoop him up from underneath he kinda snorts. I assume this is just from my hand pushing the air out of his stomach when I pick him up as he seems fine otherwise but I just wanted to make sure.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
If you ever hear him wheezing, coughing, or "clicking" while he breathes normally, at rest, then these are signs/symptoms of an Upper Respiratory Infection, along with a lot of excess mucous in his mouth, visible when he opens-up his mouth and has thick "strings" of mucous showing. Him simply making a noise only when you pick him up is not a sign/symptom of having a Respiratory Infection...

I will say that you need to be careful not to squeeze him when you pick him up, because if he is actually making a noise every time you pick him up, that's not really "normal"; I've not ever heard a Dragon make a noise when they are being picked-up like you're describing, and while it's definitely not a symptom of an infection, it may very well be a sign that you're squeezing him way too hard...

QuinnF

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
EllenD":2r0r8zvu said:
If you ever hear him wheezing, coughing, or "clicking" while he breathes normally, at rest, then these are signs/symptoms of an Upper Respiratory Infection, along with a lot of excess mucous in his mouth, visible when he opens-up his mouth and has thick "strings" of mucous showing. Him simply making a noise only when you pick him up is not a sign/symptom of having a Respiratory Infection...

I will say that you need to be careful not to squeeze him when you pick him up, because if he is actually making a noise every time you pick him up, that's not really "normal"; I've not ever heard a Dragon make a noise when they are being picked-up like you're describing, and while it's definitely not a symptom of an infection, it may very well be a sign that you're squeezing him way too hard...

Thanks Ellen I see none of the symptoms you described and I’m pretty sure I’m not squeezing him to hard. I think it’s because when I’m picking him up I pick him up with a hand under his stomach and then brace him on my hand so I might be pushing specifically on his stomach but just for a second and it doesn’t happen every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom