Brand New beardie, I think he is sick!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CEHSTJ

Hi! I am sorry for your loss! :( We too experienced the loss of a baby dragon due to the impaction caused from the pet store! We were able to get a replacement for Smaug, but would have adopted one in need since reading posts from this site. It is hard when you try your best and the outcome is negative.

As for the issue you had with lighting. We decided to use our 50 gal breeder tank instead of the 20 gal one and split the home in half so it wasn't overwhelming for the baby. We bought a clamp for our light and have it at a safe distance from the screen top. We are using the Mega-Ray mercury vapour bulb in a ceramic based deep dome ballister and have it placed 12 inches from the basking site to ensure UV absorption. One thing I just learned though is that when using this light that you DO NOT need D3 in your calcium suppliment. We will be changing that today. They can overdose on the D3 if they have too much! I did not know that! :?

We had to change our entire set up due to the misinformation given at the pet store. I am very thankful for this site and all of the great people on it!

I hope that this experience does not turn you off of having another bearded dragon. Perhaps you might be able to adopt one in need or maybe get an older baby (3 or 4 months) that are easier to care for. I would have done things differently if I had known everything that I know now. You did everything that you could and although the outcome was negative, you provided a loving, warm and secure home for the last days of the baby's life. You should feel good about that.

My thoughts are with you! Best wishes for the future!

Cheryl

mlm2588

Original Poster
thanks its crappy that it happened, esp. since i only had him for 2 weeks... he was so little
i went to the pet store though with and told them what happened and the guy that sold it to me seemed to be alright with giving me a new one, so thats what he did... it's just sad that a small baby passed away because of poor care, i just hope that i had nothing to do with his short life. but my new seems very happy and energetic, a complete 180* compared to me last one... the guy even through a few dozen crickets in the cage for me to show me how they are supposed to react to the food, so i can make my best choice based on their attentiveness. It was nice to be compensated, its still sad though that one passed like that, wish i could have done something...

pictures of my new baby with be posted hopefully shortly

RIP lil' guy (I didnt even name get to name him)
pray for the new one to live a happy, long and fullfilling life
thanks everyone

Pleaides

Juvie Member
ok thats great you have a new lil buby, your last lil buby will always have a lil special place in your heart so you wont be relacing him at all.
looking forward to pictures!

congrats!

mlm2588

Original Poster
Well after going in to the pet store that I bought my original beardie from and talking to the person that sold me the little guy, once I explained what had happened and how long it had been he was more than willing to give me another one... I had found out that before the beardies where in the tank that I bought him from that they were in a tank with calci sand, so that just gives me more reason to believe it was impaction... So today I brought a new beardie home from a new shipment that the store received and there is quite a difference in the activity of the new one. It makes me really realize how sick my original one was. Well wish me luck, I hope that I can help this one live a much more fullfilling life. Thanks

Pleaides

Juvie Member
oh bless a big congrats! on the new buby
remember pictures as soon as possible, we dont accept new additions to those who dont share pictures....J/K! LOL
seriously though do share!
good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stocam01
Top Bottom