Bought 34" 5.0 UVB by mistake, possible to supplement w/ smaller 10.0 bulb?

MaxStone

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Pancake
I bought a 34" 5.0 UVB bulb for my 3' T5 HO fixture by mistake. Is it possible to supplement this bulb with a smaller 23W 10.0 UVB bulb? Will this safely provide adequate UVB?

I would like to put the smaller bulb on top of the screen, if possible. This is a 120 gallon enclosure (4x2x2, metal screen on top).

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I bought a 34" 5.0 UVB bulb for my 3' T5 HO fixture by mistake. Is it possible to supplement this bulb with a smaller 23W 10.0 UVB bulb? Will this safely provide adequate UVB?

I would like to put the smaller bulb on top of the screen, if possible. This is a 120 gallon enclosure (4x2x2, metal screen on top).
The 36" fixture will fit a 34" bulb - but they are 24 watt not 23-- exchange the 5.0 for a 10.0 --- your UVB needs to go into the tank -- distance for a T 5 is 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor piece -- the distance for a T 5 should not exceed 15 inches

MaxStone

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Pancake
The 36" fixture will fit a 34" bulb - but they are 24 watt not 23-- exchange the 5.0 for a 10.0 --- your UVB needs to go into the tank -- distance for a T 5 is 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor piece -- the distance for a T 5 should not exceed 15 inches
I think there may be a misunderstanding. My apologies if I miscommunicated.

I only recently discovered that the 34" bulb I bought a few months ago is a 5.0 UVB, not a 10.0 bulb like I thought. I have actively been using this bulb. It is currently inside the enclosure and is approximately 15 inches above the basking area.

My understanding is that a 5.0 UVB bulb is not sufficient for a bearded dragon. I do not have the means to replace the 34" bulb at the moment, but I do have a spare 23W 10.0 UVB CFL bulb and fixture.

Could I add the the smaller fixture (the 23W 10.0 UVB CFL) to the existing lighting setup (the 34" 5.0 UVB bulb) to ensure he is getting enough UVB? In other words, two UVB lights inside his enclosure.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I think there may be a misunderstanding. My apologies if I miscommunicated.

I only recently discovered that the 34" bulb I bought a few months ago is a 5.0 UVB, not a 10.0 bulb like I thought. I have actively been using this bulb. It is currently inside the enclosure and is approximately 15 inches above the basking area.

My understanding is that a 5.0 UVB bulb is not sufficient for a bearded dragon. I do not have the means to replace the 34" bulb at the moment, but I do have a spare 23W 10.0 UVB CFL bulb and fixture.

Could I add the the smaller fixture (the 23W 10.0 UVB CFL) to the existing lighting setup (the 34" 5.0 UVB bulb) to ensure he is getting enough UVB? In other words, two UVB lights inside his enclosure.
No compact bulb you will have issues- drop the uvb to 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor - when you get the 10.0 then distance can go to 12-15 inches

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom