Bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a young 3-4 month beardie. We have had her about a month and a half. She's good with letting me hold her. But loves to run and explore. So we haven't done much out of the cage other than I feed her in a separate bin. Tonight I took her out of her cage once she climbed up on her tree to snuggle into the leaves and sleep. She (spike is her name) is kinda hanging on my chest as I type.

My question is, what other things can I do to get her used to hanging out with me. I'd love for her to just chill on my shoulder while I go about my business.

Gail

BD.org Addict
repeated and frequent handling is the best thing for bonding. Since babies like to run around and explore, baby proof a small room and just let her check things out. As she grows, she will most likely become mellower.
When I take my baby out, I place her on my shoulder or chest, if she runs off, I place her back where I want her. I do let her run around the couch some or the yard but most of the time I try to keep her on my body.

Littleleno

Original Poster
As I have been reading as many posts as I can'lately, I read about putting an article of clothing in with them? One person (I believe this was for an older dragon) wrapped them up and put the, to sleep. Are there things like this I should be doing? I handle at least once a day. Gave a bath tonight (you recommended that actually Gail). Which, she stuck her head under the water for a second and then basically frantically tried to get out lol.

Gail

BD.org Addict
I've never tried the T-shirt trick but a lot of people have with good results. Make sure its a shirt you have worn for awhile so it smells like you.
I also touch my dragon constantly, even if I don't pick her up. A quick pet before/after feeding, a few strokes while cleaning the cage, etc.. Any interaction will help.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I agree , frequent handling is a plus, once or twice a day is fine as long as you don't interfere with food digestion by having her out soon after a meal...they need to be in the heat of their tank for a good while to digest their large meals.

One other thing to be ware of is that people love to walk around with a baby/juvie on their shoulder but that is the age when they are most prone to randomly jump. They will seem calm one minute, then decide to take off....so always have control over her as a young one. There are threads on here pretty often about babies jumping, many times from the shoulder and they can get hurt pretty badly. One actually jumped in the toilet. :shock: If I remember correctly it aspirated water...I can't remember if it developed an R.I.

But have fun with your little buddy. :)

Gail

BD.org Addict
AHBD, do you remember 3-4 years back the dragon that jumped off a balcony? I can't remember for sure but I think it was at least 8 feet up. Luckily it was a light dragon and it jumped into grass.

I often let my baby ride on my shoulder but I always keep my hand over her if I'm standing up, you just can't trust them not to jump. Dragons seem to have no fear of heights.

Littleleno

Original Poster
I had noticed their no fear of jumping! For now we always sit when holding Her because of that! She sat on the back of the couch for a bit this morning soaking up the morning sun while kids watched cartoons. That was pretty cool. I think she is getting more and more used to me as now she will lick my hand and then walk on it when I go to take her out of her cage!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hseith
Top Bottom