Bob will turn seven in October.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lengel

Hi. We got Bob when he was about eight weeks old in November 2001. He'll be seven years old in October. I'm here because I want to make sure that we're doing everything we can to extend his life as long as possible. He's a great lizard and came with us on a three thousand mile move across the US in 2005. We've always thought of him as Super Lizard but he's old enough now that I'm concerned about his lifespan and "elder" care. I look forward to going through the posts here and learning whatever I can.

lengel

Original Poster
maddevil":e688c said:
Happy Birthday to Bob! Hope that he has a lot more happy birthdays with you xx

Thank you! He has become an integral part of our lives. We hope he around for a lot longer.

LJean

Extreme Poster
Happy Birthday to Bob!
I'm not sure what is the best way to care for an older dragon as mine are still young. I'm sure there are a few here who can help.

whiskersmom

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Hi! :wave: You are obviously doing something right, 7 years isn't something to sneeze at! :D
The basics for adults probably hold true for them thruought their lives, eg. limit their animal protein intake (30-40 bugs a week) good supplements, the right UVB exposure and consistent hydration. But I'm sure you already knew this!

Happy Birthday Bob! :blob5:

CWHFSR

I had a dragon, Charlie, that was 9.5 years old when I was forced to give him to another home because of financial reasons.

I don't think there is anything different with an older dragon than there would be for a younger one (or at least one that is 1-2 years old). He/She should be eating more greens than live food, but keep the live food coming because it will keep the dragon active. Often times I would take the dragon to the middle of the room then put down one crix at a time and let him run them down, this way he got a bit more freedom than just chasing them around in his cage.

As others have said, if Bob is already 7 then you are doing something right, just keep doing that and he should live for even more years to come.

lengel

Original Poster
CWHFSR":db194 said:
I don't think there is anything different with an older dragon than there would be for a younger one (or at least one that is 1-2 years old). He/She should be eating more greens than live food, but keep the live food coming because it will keep the dragon active. Often times I would take the dragon to the middle of the room then put down one crix at a time and let him run them down, this way he got a bit more freedom than just chasing them around in his cage.

It's interesting that you say this. I've been giving him fewer crickets at a time because I hate to see him trying to sleep with a cricket on his head because he burned out before he finished. I definitely give him more greens now as well.

Thank you everyone. Still reading posts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom