Bob the Dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.
When we first met Bob in November of 2004, he was already 8 inches in length and had a personality. We took him home from a reptile show and on the advice of the breeder put him in a shallow rubbermaid tub with clip on lamp and a plate of lettuce. A trip to the pet store the next day was an eye opener. We came home with a large black screen cage and a basking lamp, a wood perch and a bag of crickets. Everything was fine for about 6 months. He seemed lethargic so I jumped on the internet to research his symptoms and that's when I discovered this forum. Oh wow, we were messing up bad! Back to the pet store I went. I came home with a 48x24x24 glass vivarium, a 100 watt UV lamp, vitamins and a real temperature monitor and some vitamins. Once he got used to it he perked back up and became his old self. We ordered our crickets and silkies from Mulberry Farms exclusively for the next 8 years. Bob grew to 21.5 inches in length and could cross the living room floor in about 3 seconds to bag a cricket. As time went on, Bob chilled out a bit, ate less, slept more but loved to run around and go swimming and sit on the window sill. We watched a lot of TV together and eventually he would climb onto my hand when I offered it.

Bob hasn't been himself this year and the last two months have been rough because we didn't know what was going on with him. One vet treated him for a possible bacterial infection which seemed to help at first then he started losing weight. First the fat pads on his head shrank then his tail started shrinking. We took Bob to a second vet who checked him out and told us his kidneys were shutting down. He was astonished at Bobs age and attributed it to excellent care.

It was just a matter of time before he passed on his own and he was sleeping all the time as it was now so we let him go to sleep one last time today at 2PM.

Bob enjoyed a long happy life because we cared for him and loved him. We learned to care for him right here, in this very forum. It is for that I want to thank each and everyone who shared their stories and experiences with us here. The community here made it possible for him to live a long healthy life. You guys are awesome.

Bob, buddy we sure are going to miss you but were blessed to have you in our home for as long as we did. Happy trails little dude.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom