Black part of claws completely covered

Status
Not open for further replies.

HonorableKoala

A couple of my 3 year old male bearded dragon's claws have something funky going on. The normal "black" part of the claw is completely covered by the dead tan stuff. Does this need to be clipped/treated, or is this no big deal? The rest of his claws are completely normal. Thanks!

dolcedragon

Sub-Adult Member
I have a formerly abused beardie that has a couple of messed up claws as well. I would advise leaving them alone unless they seem to be bothersome to the dragon-- trouble walking, pain... Or showing signs of getting worse--changing color, stuck sheds...

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Is it possible for you to post a picture for us to have a better idea of the type of discoloration?

Holly

HonorableKoala

Original Poster
Here's a couple of photos. It also looks like he broke off the tip of one of his normal claws today, but it doesn't seem to be bothering him.

Thought I'd mention this: during the spring he goes crazy and runs around his cage while scratching at the plexiglass. He hasn't hurt himself yet, but I thought that might be a factor in how his claws are.

dolcedragon

Sub-Adult Member
Ok, I would trim those down to the quick (pinkish whitish part) It looks like they might have gotten hard and crackly so when you trim you may get some breakage. So instead of cutting them off all at once I would trim each nail down with a few snips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom