Black fly larvae

Mango44

Beardie name(s)
Mango
Is black fly larvae okay for my bearded main protein?

I’m trying to avoid crickets and Dubai roaches due to them getting stuck under the tiles and making noises and him crazy if he doesn’t eat them all.

I get super worms and meal worms occasionally too but don’t want to be feeding him wrong

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4

I’m trying to avoid crickets and Dubai roaches due to them getting stuck under the tiles and making noises and him crazy if he doesn’t eat them all.

I get super worms and meal worms occasionally too but don’t want to be feeding him wrong
Yes a good staple- try feeding the crickets and dubias 2 at a time that way you know how many are in there- supers and meal worms are good for treats 3 times a week- I feed 3 supers at a time mine won't eat meal worms -- also horn worms are good

Xjrosie

Hatchling Member
They have escape proof bowls that you can get if you want to feed more dubias. And if you are getting small dubias, you could just get a tart dish. They can't climb smooth surfaces so any dish that is smooth and doesn't have slanted sides will work as long as your beardie can get his face in there.

ChileanTaco

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Taco
I'm using the glass lids of American-style candles in a jar - I mean these, an example, sold by many stores:
Remove the plastic that's sometimes used to seal the lid, clean well (e.g. rubbing alcohol or dish soap). Better than anything I've used before - nothing escapes, dragon has no problem with it, and can be cleaned easily.
If you have a use for the candles, or if you can get the empty jars with lids for free from somebody: I strongly recommend using them.

jwylie94

Beardie name(s)
Elmer
I don't know about the Black Fly Larvae. Superworms are good, mealworms I would avoid if possible. Drache613 can better explain why mealworms aren't really good for our beardies.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I don't know about the Black Fly Larvae. Superworms are good, mealworms I would avoid if possible. Drache613 can better explain why mealworms aren't really good for our beardies.
Meal worms are fine for older dragons- babies not so much the exoskeleton on them is too harsh on babies stomachs and I had read the digestive system when young is not fully developed causing more risk for impaction

caylakling

I get super worms and meal worms occasionally too but don’t want to be feeding him wrong Flappy Bird
Black fly larvae can be a suitable protein source for bearded dragons. They are nutritious and can provide variety in their diet. However, it's important to ensure that the black fly larvae are from a reliable source and properly gut-loaded before feeding them to your bearded dragon.

When feeding any live insects, including black fly larvae, it's crucial to provide a balanced diet to your bearded dragon. Variety is key to ensuring they receive a wide range of nutrients. While black fly larvae can be a part of their diet, it's recommended to include other feeder insects such as crickets, Dubia roaches, super worms, and mealworms to offer a more diverse nutritional profile.

If you're concerned about the insects hiding or escaping, you can try feeding them in a separate container or use feeding tongs to offer them to your bearded dragon directly. This way, you can minimize the chances of them hiding under tiles or causing disturbances.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom