Black beard, Weird behavior - Need Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoshD

A couple months ago my beardie was diagnosed with a mild respiratory infection, and I was given baytril to treat her for 10 days. After the 10 days she seemed fine but then the symptoms came back. The vet then prescribed baytril for a 3 week period instead of 10 days. I have been giving her the baytril for the past 2 weeks now and she has been doing good. A few days ago, I decided to take her out for some exercise, and I let her onto the floor to run around. I went to pick her up and she puffed up all the way and her beard turned all the way black. I left her alone for about 20 minutes and when I came back, I was finally able to get her back into her tank, but after she was in the tank she did it again. Eventually she calmed down, and I fed her and gave her the medicine. I left her alone for a couple days, still hand feeding, but not taking her out, and she was fine. Yesterday I decided to try and take her out again, I sat on the floor and let her run around, and then out of nowhere she puffed up and turned black again. This time it was worse, and she was opening her mouth everytime I got near. I put on a glove (just incase she tried to bite) picked her up, and put her back, she stayed like that sitting in her hammock for a few minutes and then calmed down. I left her alone yesterday, and today I tried again, but this time only brought her to my bed, so it was a smaller space. She was running around, climbing my arms and legs, and licking my hand. A minute later out of nowhere she just started getting black and puffed her beard out. I was able to pet her and calm her down and then I picked her up and put her back. I have no idea what is causing this behavior, I've had her for 6 months, and she has never shown any aggression until last week. Nothing has changed, everything has been exactly the same. Does anyone have advice on this? or know what I can do to help change it? I've spoken with a vet and also a couple other people and everyone is stumped. I need some help! I'll include some pictures

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Baytril can cause them to have upset stomachs so it's not unusual to not feel well on such a long course of treatment. I would offer her lots of water via drops on her nose to keep her well hydrated. This can counter the dehydrating effects of the meds and protect her kidneys. You may also want to offer her some probiotics to help replenish her beneficial gut bacteria that may be wiped out by the Baytril.

You can upload photos here https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ and post them to your thread using the XIMG button.

JoshD

Original Poster
I will definitely try the water thing, and is there somewhere you reccommend I can buy some probiotics from?? Heres some pictures just for reference

89347-7269357429.jpg

89347-6170083675.jpg

89347-7953571411.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom