Black beard & Hiding

Status
Not open for further replies.

theWERM

HI, one of my beardies (Nacho) has been acting a little strange. When I had him out yesterday i moved a little bit and he ran under the bed and turned his beard black and puffed up to the max, we calmed him down but it took about 10-20 minutes for him to turn his his beard white, he didn't have any stress mark just the black beard and puffing. Today we took him out and he did the same thing,(this time in my room) he stopped puffing up once we started to pet him but kept the black beard till we put him in his tank (one of the other beardies pooped so we put them away) (Cough; Pancake! :shock: ). Yesterday it was just me and him when he did this today it was with the other beardies. He bit off his toe due to a bad shed last week do you guys think that might be reason to all the madness? :protest:

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Oh my! Nacho bit off his toe, due to a shed :shock: Poor guy! How does his toe look? Is it still raw or does it look like it is healing? Did you put anything on it, such as an antibiotic?
If his toe is infected or bothering him, then yes, this could cause stress and a blackbeard.
The other thought is that he is just being hormonal, especially around the other beardies.
How is he in his viv? Does he only have the blackbeard when out of his viv?

theWERM

Original Poster
Half of his toe is all black and hard, it's not going to come back:( . I put a baking powder, water mix for a temperary solution I also put BIO GROOM sure clot "Fast Acting Powder" on his toe.

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Oh that is too bad about his toe. Yes, if it is hard and black, then it is dead tissue and will end up falling off. How do his scales above the black/dead part look?
Just in case there is any infection there... you can soak his foot in a Betadine solution. Get a container fill with water and add enough Betadine so that it resembles that of weak tea. Allow your beardie to soak in it for a good 15 minutes. Dry the area with a clean cloth and apply some triple antibiotic cream, such as Neosporin to the affected area. Do this a few times a day, if possible.
Keep his foot clean. You don't have any loose substrate in his viv, do you? If so, take it out and use papertoweling.
The Betadine and Neosporin will prevent infection from spreading to the rest of his foot.
Keep us posted on how your little guy is doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom