Bizarre Behaviour!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jewel3

Ok, what is your dragon trying to tell you when she paces back and forth bumping her nose up against the wall of her viv?? Miette is 2 and we've had her for a year and have never seen this behaviour before. We are kind of concerned because she's doing it a lot lately.

I appreciate any insight!

~ jewel

Ryan Maguire

Sub-Adult Member
jewel3":40336 said:
Ok, what is your dragon trying to tell you when she paces back and forth bumping her nose up against the wall of her viv?? Miette is 2 and we've had her for a year and have never seen this behaviour before. We are kind of concerned because she's doing it a lot lately.

I appreciate any insight!

~ jewel

I think she wants out to explore. Everytime my BD does this behavior I take him out to run around. :blob8:

jewel3

Original Poster
That's what we thought too so we do get her out for a run but after being back in her viv for a few minutes, she back at it. And we can hear her bumping her nose on her tank.

Twobeardieguy

BD.org Sicko
It ok!! This is just normal behavior especially around breeding season when they start to get older!!! Mine also does it and it get really bad sometimes!!! And a lot of times she see her reflection in the glass .... You could try wrapping the tank with paper and see if she stops!! Just my 2cents!!!!!!!!

Lance

jewel3

Original Poster
Ok, we wondered if it might be a breeding thing. We have wrapped her tank in a blanket when she gets really bad but maybe we will do something a little more "permanent".

Thanks for the suggestions, guys!

rin0425

Hatchling Member
Feel her belly too, to make sure shes not gravid. Even if she has never been with a male, she can lay infertile clutches. Wanda does it for about 3 days before the digging sets in, then a few days later...eggs. If you feel little marbles shes gonna give you some eggs.

jewel3

Original Poster
Oh my! I'm glad you shared that! I would be a little freaked out if I saw some random eggs around her viv!

What does "gravid" mean? I haven't heard that term either.

Thank you!

jewel3

Original Poster
Well, we haven't noticed that she looks pregnant but she is hyper. When she's out, she's running and trying to climb everywhere.

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
I have had the same problem with Gizmo, i was worried that she started to scratch and dig, but wasnt interested in any laybox, but when i constulted the vet she said sometimes their hormone tell them to act crazy, find a good place to lay etc, but never go on to produce eggs, kinda like PMT for lizards!

My only advice is set up a lay box just in case, but just humor her, as long as she has a nice place to lay if she wants, theres really not much more you can do!

Oh and just keep an eye out for her looking really fat or staining to push something out!

jewel3

Original Poster
Ok, what is a "lay box"?? We only have one beardie and haven't been interested in breeding her so I'm not "up" on any of this bizarre behaviour and other necessities of this phase.

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
LOL neither was i so i had to learn qickly too!

She needs a nice deep box (6 inch or deeper) filled with either washed playsand, or clean top soil, or a mixture. It has to be damp, kinda sandcastle consistancy.If she really wants to dig she will go in a just do her thing. Gizmo had problems so i had to put a lid on, and keep her in there for two days, she was really p****d off with me!

As long as she has a heat source she can go without uvb for a few days! Sorry i couldnt help more but like i said im new to this aswell! hopefully a more experienced person can put a little more advice your way!

Oh, and make sure the box isnt cardboard! Gizmo dug a hole through the bottom of that! plastic all the way!

Fallencomrade2008

Juvie Member
dragons basically want to dig a hole big enough so they can go inside and poke there face out just a bit before they want to lay their eggs. Most adult females ley a few clutchs without being bred or ever haveing seen a male. It's a bit annoying to have to deal with but it's for the good of your dragon that you make her the box. I'm sure you can find a good lay box instructor in the DIY (Do It Yourself) section on this website. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulesD
Top Bottom