Biting Worms?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi! I know that some of the more popular feeder worms (horns, silks, butters, etc.) have the capacity to bite, but I can never remember which ones. Could someone tell me which worms bite and which don't? I know I've seen a post on this board that talks about biting worms, but I couldn't find it again. I'd like to start offering a bigger variety of feeder insects (I use Phoenix Worms as a staple and supplement with crickets), but I'm afraid to get worms that could bite him (or me :) ).

AtlasStrike

Sub-Adult Member
Horn worms and Super Worms are the ones that people talk about biting the most. Supers aren't that bad (as in dragons don't seem to care AT ALL), but I pick them up with tweezers because EWWW BITING WORMS. I've had pretty much the same experience with Hornworms, they get eaten so fast that it doesn't matter if they could bite, cause they don't have time. :D

NoxnGeorgieT

Original Poster
Thank you SO much! My Georgie isn't too great about chewing his food carefully, so I've been afraid to give him any worm that could fight back. I had horrible visions of a worm with biting capabilities being swallowed whole. ACK!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I've never had a superworm bite me in years and years of breeding superworms.

I don't have as much experience with Hornworms but have never been bit by them either.

As long as the feeder is appropriately sized, you don't need to worry really about biting. Especially if your dragon knows how to chew :mrgreen:

-Brandon

MissT

BD.org Addict
Ive had a super bite... they hurt lol! Tongs are definitely helpful when handling supers!

MissT

BD.org Addict
claudiusx":3dwrmb3x said:
Was it an actual bite or just the superworm legs grabbing onto you?

-Brandon

Im offended that you would consider me to be so silly.... lol! who am I kidding, everyone knows I dont have an ounce of sense lol

It was definitely a bite. There was blood! Unless of course their legs are likely to cause bleeding :?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Oh this is where you said I offended you haha :mrgreen:

Oh sorry, you must have got the vampire breed of superworms. Was it sparkly with an apathetic expression on its face? :laughing6: :laughhard:

-Brandon

MissT

BD.org Addict
claudiusx":1exiqoy5 said:
Oh this is where you said I offended you haha :mrgreen:

Oh sorry, you must have got the vampire breed of superworms. Was it sparkly with an apathetic expression on its face? :laughing6: :laughhard:

-Brandon

Hahaha!
They were definitely an unusually evil batch of supers! They were pretty nasty! One of them freaked Travis out one day - Im assuming it grabbed on to his toe with its little sticky feet.... ICK!!!
That was a while back.... Probably one of the first times that I actually picked one up in my fingers.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
In all seriousness though that is strange. I've purposely held supers for long times at a time, I even grabbed probably 50-100 at once and let them crawl on my hand, seeing if they would bite me.

Not that I am weird or anything, but I really wanted to see if they would actually bite me lol. Thats why I assumed that you didn't have to be worried about it.

-Brandon

MissT

BD.org Addict
Maybe it depends on how you grab them?
Or, maybe we have evil supers on this side of the pond!

Cowabunga

Hatchling Member
Supers most certainly will bite you more likely than any of the other 3 biting worms. Silks are the least unlikely. Horns will try on contact but can't until they achieve larger sizes. Supers however wont typically bite you if you pick them up or simply hold them (they can however) but if you pinch them while grabing their tail basically what most do when they hold them out for their beardies or if you grab their faces, yeah, they'll typically bite and the big ones can draw blood on those with more fragile hands.

None are as bad a crix tho so no worries. Crix are stupid and just eat anything they come in contact with..

Paradon

Sub-Adult Member
I have gotten bitten the supers but they didn't draw blood from me though. And my hands are very soft for a guy (my hands are softer than some girls). lol I supposed if it bit the lizards in the mouth, the edges of the mouth or the toes that might be a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom