Bit of a weird problem actually...

Status
Not open for further replies.

xebo

We bought our dragon second hand, his owner didn't want him anymore.
But I'm starting to worry about the information he gave us.
He said that Eddie was 13 months old, but obviously I can't tell if this is true or not.
He also told us that Eddie was male...I obviously did my research before we bought him, but everything said that males are usually stockier than females. I never thought anything of it (as I had nothing to compare him with) but when we went to tropical world recently they had a male and a female in a tank, the males head was much bigger and although he was big he was much stockier, the female was more slender and resembled our Eddie in size.
Is there any other way we can check to see what gender he is without taking him to the vets?
We were considering buying him a companion but if he is a he then we can only buy a female and they will breed yes?

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Congrats on your new beardie! :D

The size of the head and/or body of a beardie does not always determine the gender. Here is an article about sexing your dragon, it may help http://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/sexing/

Although it is nice of you to consider a companion for Eddie, beardies should not be housed together. They are very territorial creatures by nature and have no problems living a solitary life. When beardies are housed together there may be dominance issues, which can lead to fighting, injury or one not thriving properly. Even with a male and female, they should only be brought together for breeding purposes. If housed together it can lead to overbreeding, which can be very hard on the female.

Hope this helps!

xebo

Original Poster
Thanks guys. I've had a close look and can kinda see the two lumps but they are not very obvious. He still has bizarre behaviour and I think he is brumating atm too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseofChaos
Top Bottom