Biological clock of captivity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elmontare

Hatchling Member
I know theres alot of discussion about dragons in Australia brumating opposite those of the USA...and guess im under the impression that alot of that has to do with most wild animals mating in the spring time, which would therefore start the biological clock ticking. But if captive dragons can be mated at anytime during the year wouldnt the brumation cycle conform to when they were born? Especially considering all enviromental aspects are unchanged.

Sawahchan

Bearded dragons have been bred and raised in captivity for awhile now. Still, that doesn't have anything against the millions of years of evolution that's lead them to brumate in the winter via Australia's schedule. In thousands of years maybe we will breed it out of them but its unlikely.

Elmontare

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Sawahchan":1sok3i6z said:
Bearded dragons have been bred and raised in captivity for awhile now. Still, that doesn't have anything against the millions of years of evolution that's lead them to brumate in the winter via Australia's schedule. In thousands of years maybe we will breed it out of them but its unlikely.

I understand that but i think you kinda missed my point. Its not only the time of year but of age also. They have to be over X amount of months before they will brumate. What im saying is if a dragon in captivity is born say December 1st but most dragons in the wild are born March 1st and brumate November 1st the captive dragon wouldnt know the difference and would brumate in a time frame relitive to the wild dragon (9 months from birth). Again this is still assuming all enviromental factors are unchanged. Doesnt this make a little sence?

Sawahchan

It may have little or nothing to do with birth, take birds for example. Regardless of when they were born they still fly south for the winter. Its not the best representation I know but still its probably more of a behavior thing thats ingrained into their species from millions of years of evolution. Not all beardies brumate some just don't their first year its a survival thing, no matter your tank conditions if the dragon decides to brumate it will. I guess for the most part its up to the dragon. I'm not a vet though thats just my opinion.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
I've only gotten the impression brumation is keyed to some seasonal change not a time regardless of weather. This explanation is one of the more satisfying ones http://www.arcadia-reptile.com/changing-seasons/

Wild bearded dragons also lay multiple clutches - so the ages of the young will be scattered over several months as well.

I really believe they are reacting to some cue, not just a preset time. There are factors we can't control even when we keep our temps and lighting consistent throughout the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heidib715
Top Bottom