Billy... Again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

We have had Billy the Bearded Dragon for around about a month now. We got him on the preloved website and ever since hes been with us, we know he hasn't been in top condition. After two trips to the vets, we've discovered he is underweight by about 50g, has a respiratory infection and is also showing signs of mouth rot. The first trip to the vets around two weeks ago, we received medicine to treat the respiratory infection but it hasn't worked and he still has a lot of mucus in his mouth. The second trip to the vets - yesterday - they cleaned the scabs off of his mouth, unblocked his nose and gave him some antibiotics through an injection. We were given an Iodine solution to continue cleaning his mouth and also another medicine to be given orally. Billy must go up to the vets this Saturday and again on Tuesday to monitor his progress and give him more antibiotic jabs.

We have found out through the vet that his setup and temperatures are fine, though before he came to us the highest the temps got were around 80-85 degrees. He was also on shredded bark substrate and fed things like grapes, waxworms and locusts as his staple diet which we've also discovered, minus the locusts and occasional waxworms, was wrong.

We make him up a box of grated vegetables and occasional fruit supplemented with calcium powder and we make up a fresh box every 3-4 days. Billy has no interest in crickets or locusts but prefers worms such as mealworms, waxworms and calci worms. Considering he is underweight, the vet has told us to feed him anything he will eat to get him to put on weight quickly before trying to sort out his diet properly. Billy refuses to eat any greens at all, and is only living on like I mentioned previously, the worms - though we have tried him on the Bearded Dragon pellets which you add water to and mash up which again, he's not taken any interest in. :(

Since the vet trip yesterday, however, Billy has become very lethargic and isn't eating anything at all - he just closes his eyes or turns his head away from the food offered to him. The left side of his beard has also been black since. We're getting very worried since we've found out he is in such bad condition and want him to get better asap! :cry:
Any tips on getting him to eat anything at all would be much appreciated!
Also, silly question but do their beards secrete anything when black? :?

Many thanks in advance!
Terri.

He sounds as if he is in a really bad place right now. If I were you, I would not wait until Saturday to take him back to the vet, I would go right now. He may not last until Saturday...

Do you know which antibiotic they injected him with?

harleterri

Original Poster
Not too sure which antibiotic he was injected with though I could find out when he has his next one.

Any tips on getting him to feed? At the moment we are using a medicine spoon to open his mouth, putting baby food mixed with calcium on the spoon and sort of dribbling it into his mouth as he won't lick it off his nose.

Thank you for the reply.

Lenewen

Juvie Member
harleterri":1ha2gktg said:
Any tips on getting him to feed? At the moment we are using a medicine spoon to open his mouth, putting baby food mixed with calcium on the spoon and sort of dribbling it into his mouth as he won't lick it off his nose.

This is the best you can do. I recommend chicken baby food or the squash flavored one. I use a dropper instead of a spoon since I can open the mouth and just jet the stuff in there.

I recommend you order reptaid right away. You cant buy it in stores. Theres a knockoff product with a similar name-does NOT work. http://www.reptaid.com It has saved more than one reptile of mine, we take in rescues all the time.

Many babies dont eat greens. Just pack on the weight with those worms. Get *small* superworms from beardeddragon.co and feed as many as he will eat. Supers are high in fat and will help with weight gain without being terribly unhealthy in copious amounts like waxworms can be. This site also sells a probiotic powder-get it!! With him/her being on antibiotics, its a necessity to promote good digestive health. Antibiotics kill all bacteria, even the good stuff, in the stomach and can cause a dragon to stop eating. Pay for overnight shipping.

Just keep feeding even by force and the little guy should pull through. And go back to the vet in the interim!!

He is in my prayers.

harleterri

Original Poster
Hello!
Thank you so much for your replies, I really appreciate all the help and advice you've given! Also, wow! I would love to be able to rescue Beardies, that's amazing!

Went to the vets today, Billy had his jab and the vet also gave us some powder to mix with warm water to force feed him for the next ten days. Its for underweight Bearded Dragon's so I'm hoping we'll see an improvement with his weight soon! Billy will have to have 5mls of the powder-and-water mixture four to five times a day. He's back at the vets on the Tuesday coming with our regular vet, so again I'm hoping he'll see an improvement in Billy.

Many thanks!
Terri.

Lenewen

Juvie Member
harleterri":2jj5b2ue said:
Hello!
Thank you so much for your replies, I really appreciate all the help and advice you've given! Also, wow! I would love to be able to rescue Beardies, that's amazing!

Went to the vets today, Billy had his jab and the vet also gave us some powder to mix with warm water to force feed him for the next ten days. Its for underweight Bearded Dragon's so I'm hoping we'll see an improvement with his weight soon! Billy will have to have 5mls of the powder-and-water mixture four to five times a day. He's back at the vets on the Tuesday coming with our regular vet, so again I'm hoping he'll see an improvement in Billy.

Many thanks!
Terri.

I got two of the rescues from this site, just keep an eye on the "rescues" discussion board. We are always in need of good homes for neglected beardies out there. And craigslist is a good place to scope out free beardies that are often unhealthy and in need of a good home :)

Hopefully the powder does the trick. The key to rehabilitation is to keep them eating. Weight gain equates healing often enough. Hopefully everything goes well and best of luck to you and Billy.

harleterri

Original Poster
Hello,

This is my last question, sorry to be a pest!
I was just wondering, if a Bearded Dragon has been ill for a long period of time and they've rarely gone through Brumation, when the Beardie starts to recover will he brumate no matter what season it is and even if he is ill?
Sorry if it's a silly question, total novice at this and desperate to find out whats wrong with Billy :cry:

Thank you in advance!
Terri.

harleterri

Original Poster
Billy actually passed away around about an hour ago, I'm so heartbroken :cry:

Thank you for all your help everyone.
R.I.P. Billy <3

Oniko

I was reading this thread with such hope for him... I'm so sorry to hear he passed away :( Always breaks my heart to read these kinds of posts, so I can't imagine how heart broken you are to lose your little guy.

I'm sure he knows you did everything you could do, and he's probably somewhere running around OVER eating magnificently large bugs and showing them who is the boss, basking in natural sun and smiling at you.

harleterri

Original Poster
Thank you for your lovely replies.

I'm so upset. We really did think he was getting better and it came as a shock when he passed away.
We only had him literally for just over a month and I got so attached so quickly and now its horrible not to see his little head bobs or his funny little run. I miss my nighttime cuddles with him.

Hoping to get another Beardie maybe next year sometime. I would get one sooner but I feel as if I'm replacing him.

Absolutely gutted he's gone, but I'm so happy he's not suffering anymore. Feel so guilty we couldn't do more for him.

Thanks everyone x

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
That you only had him for just over a month tells me that his death wasn't your fault. He was obviously sick when you got him. Don't feel like you are replacing him if you get another one because you can't replace Billy. We lost a total of 5 between August of 2004 and July of 2012. We miss them all and they are all in our hearts and will remain there. We got Lil Squirt on November 7th of last year from Barbara, mom to Zak-n-Wheezie, not to replace Goldie Speedy but because we needed another one to love and she's becoming quite the character.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom