Big decision

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello! We have a rather complicated situation. Our 11 month old beardie Calcifer has coccidia :( he has been treated once, and since that treatment was ineffective we are moving on to another in a few days. In the meantime, he is still sick. We also are afraid he may have a respiratory infection, as he has been clicking some and when we checked the back of his throat, there was a small amount of foam (which is hard to understand, because his temperatures have been just fine). So the tank we are currently housing him in is a huge pain. It is too tall, hard to access, difficult to clean and the homemade lid is dusty and unsanitary. We purchased a new exo-terra tank which is perfect. We were planning on moving him once he is recovered, but we are having second thoughts. The move will obviously be stressful, but we are afraid that the old tank and lid is the thing making him sick. Thanks for reading all that :) anyways what is the best idea, keeping him in the old tank or making the move to the new one? Thank you!

SukiLove

Juvie Member
If it were me and I thought the old lid was a problem I personally would not hesitate to move him. If you are treating for coccidia though, stick to the bare minimum for cage decorations. When treating Soleil I used card board boxes and paper towels so I could keep everything as sanitary as possible. She hated it of course, but she lived through it. What meds are you using for it?

pogonavitticeps

Original Poster
Thank you for the advice. We have been using the barest furnishings (only a cardboard hide) and sanitizing using a veterinary-grade solution (F10SC, i think its called). His previous treatment was amprolium, but according to the last fecal test it didnt make a difference. Im afraid I do not remember the name of the next medication, its sorta long :/ but I will know shortly as we just ordered some from the vet. Its supposed to be used on horses, but apparently it works on lizards too (???). Anyways, are you sure the stress wont be too much? The new tank has slightly different dimensions, and it has a different background, so it would be quite the shock. I just dont want him to get an worse. Thanks once again for the helpful reply!

SukiLove

Juvie Member
Have you spoken with Tracie (Drache613) about the treatment? For Soleil I used Ponazuril and it was only 2 doses and she was cleared after 3 weeks to wait and check the last fecal. I think with everything he is going through now a move won't be any more stressful for him then it already is, but that's just my opinion. Maybe someone else can give you a clearer view on that part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom