BIG attitude problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Sebastian has a serious attitude lately. He's never been very keen on being held but he would deal with it. For the last two weeks he has been running when I try to hold him. This progressed to opening his mouth at me. Then turned into some hissing. And finally today he bit me. I don't hold him excessively but like to at least once a day but that's now becoming impossible. How do I stop this behavior or at least get him to the point where he can be held? Obviously the biting is my main concern.

LaughingBuddha

Hatchling Member
Bite him back and see how he likes it :p

Damn thats rough. I hope baby doesn't get this bad she's 3 and a half. Although I have to say she never displays dominate behaviour and only puffs slightly when she is in the kitchen or my flat mates room as they are new places for her btu stops as soon as I rub her beard.

vampy

Juvie Member
What's his viv like? If it only opens from the top, that might be part of the issue as they often get freaked out if they see something huge (our hand!) looming down on them from above, it's much easier and less scary to approach them from the side. Also, is he shedding? Shedding makes some dragons very grumpy.

The only thing I can really recommend is to persevere. Ignore any naughty behaviour or struggling and pick him up anyway, and don't let him go until he is calm. If he learns that struggling = being put down, he'll do it more often. When my bf got his latest beardie, the shop owner said he'd been surrendered to them by an owner who didn't have time for him, and hadn't been handled enough so was very very skittish. He didn't like being picked up, he would just about tolerate having his beard touched but would sometimes puff up, and if you touched him anywhere else he'd run away. He bit him once that I'm aware of, and hissed several times. Bf got him out of the viv for just a couple of minutes at a time around ten times a day, and after a couple of weeks he was already showing considerable improvement, then we'd let him roam around the room when we were in there and pick him up to move him if he started knocking stuff off places or whatever, and after a couple more weeks he was completely tame and started to actively seek us out and climb onto the bed when I was napping to sit on me. Now, about 6 months later, you can do pretty much anything to him and he doesn't mind, he doesn't care whatsoever if you mess with his feet or tail, and will scratch at the glass to come out when I walk into the room.

ladygypsie

Original Poster
He's beginning to shed so I already figures thats where the bite came from. I am planning to get him a front open viv once he gets a little bigger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom