Best Worms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashleyelsha

Juvie Member
mudskipper":pantc1g9 said:
mudskipper":pantc1g9 said:
The phoenix worms arrived with zero dead worms! I put the bigger ones in a new container without the saw dust and added Repashy Superload mixed with water. They all seem to have doubled in size within an hour from drinking the juices of the powder. I don't know if they are eating the powder, but they are supposed to eat anything and everything since people use them for composting.

I put the smaller phoenix worms in another container with no saw dust. Added shredded collard greens, cooked oatmeal, Repashy Superload, Fluker's High Calcium Cricket Diet, and some water to turn everything into mush. This is just an expiriment. I want to see if they can live and, more importantly, grow in this.

There are many videos on YouTube on how to raise black soldier flies (Phoenix worms, Reptiworms, Calciworms). I may try it next summer. :)

OMG.. it's only been 24 hours since I put the phoenix worms in the 2 containers. I opened the containers and wanted to puke because of the smell inside!! They had a really bad sour smell. The worms were still alive. Actually, they were really active so I guess they totally loved swimming into goo. They somehow turned the collard greens sort of yellowish brown and mushy. Anyway, I tried giving the phoenix worms to my leopard geckos. The first one ate like 10 of them. The second leopard gecko tried one and wouldn't take another one. She definitely wasn't full because she accepted 3 one-inch dubias later. The third leopard gecko had a lick then turned away. The smell was so awful I can still smell it.

So I transferred all the worms into a clean container with dry oatmeal and cricket water crystals. If they can live in this, that's great. If they die, oh well.. I tried. I understand now why you don't feed phoenix worms!!! When my baby bearded dragon arrives, I'll try and order more. But this time I won't try to feed them anymore!!

why would you feed the phoenix worms? You are supposed to keep them in the container and media that they come in. The media is not harmful if your bearded dragon ingests some of it. Mine kept on a shelf for three weeks at room temperature. I just fed the last of them yesterday actually and need to order some more. Like I said I don't feed them as a staple, but as a supplement they are great.

mudskipper

Juvie Member
mudskipper":1ck9j1uw said:
mudskipper":1ck9j1uw said:
The phoenix worms arrived with zero dead worms! I put the bigger ones in a new container without the saw dust and added Repashy Superload mixed with water. They all seem to have doubled in size within an hour from drinking the juices of the powder. I don't know if they are eating the powder, but they are supposed to eat anything and everything since people use them for composting.

I put the smaller phoenix worms in another container with no saw dust. Added shredded collard greens, cooked oatmeal, Repashy Superload, Fluker's High Calcium Cricket Diet, and some water to turn everything into mush. This is just an expiriment. I want to see if they can live and, more importantly, grow in this.

There are many videos on YouTube on how to raise black soldier flies (Phoenix worms, Reptiworms, Calciworms). I may try it next summer. :)

OMG.. it's only been 24 hours since I put the phoenix worms in the 2 containers. I opened the containers and wanted to puke because of the smell inside!! They had a really bad sour smell. The worms were still alive. Actually, they were really active so I guess they totally loved swimming into goo. They somehow turned the collard greens sort of yellowish brown and mushy. Anyway, I tried giving the phoenix worms to my leopard geckos. The first one ate like 10 of them. The second leopard gecko tried one and wouldn't take another one. She definitely wasn't full because she accepted 3 one-inch dubias later. The third leopard gecko had a lick then turned away. The smell was so awful I can still smell it.

So I transferred all the worms into a clean container with dry oatmeal and cricket water crystals. If they can live in this, that's great. If they die, oh well.. I tried. I understand now why you don't feed phoenix worms!!! When my baby bearded dragon arrives, I'll try and order more. But this time I won't try to feed them anymore!!

Ok, it's only been 12 hours in the oatmeal container... They turned a lot of it into mush. Still smells awful. I'm going to have to throw them away. I can't stand the smell!! :(

ashleyelsha

Juvie Member
[/quote]

Ok, it's only been 12 hours in the oatmeal container... They turned a lot of it into mush. Still smells awful. I'm going to have to throw them away. I can't stand the smell!! :([/quote]

put them back into the original medium they came in, they won't smell.

mudskipper

Juvie Member
ashleyelsha":3twm1gew said:
why would you feed the phoenix worms? You are supposed to keep them in the container and media that they come in.

I am the type that always asks "why" when someone tells me to do something or not to do something.  Except in this case, I could not find the reason why anywhere. Not on phoenixworm.com and not in any posts that say "no need to feed phoenix worms"on various forums so I had to try myself.  All they had to do is mentioning how stinky they get if you feed them and that would have convinced me to simply follow the instructions.  :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom