best worms for every day diet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xcynnerx

man, wish I would have known about this mulberry farms before I ordered 1000 crickets :p My oldest beardie(Gloria) likes crickets and worms, but the younger one (Grace) seems to only like Crickets! She accidentally ingested a worm on a piece of greens and spit it out! HA!!

Goodtruant

Sub-Adult Member
I think phoenix worms are the best feeder period. Even when our beardie, Draper, doesn't want to eat for whatever reason, he will eat phoenix worms. Our vet told us to stay away from crickets, and use dubia instead. He said he see's way too many cases of reptiles getting parasites from crickets, and it's much less common in roaches.

Keeping feeders at our house has been 1000% easier with the phoenix worms and dubia. No noise, less smell, no escapes, easier to feed and breed (dubia), dont have to dust the worms, less chance of parasites.

+1 to silks and hornworms. For me, they are harder to keep, and are more expensive. VERY high on the nutritional value!

xcynnerx

Yes. I'm hearing good things about Phoenix worms/reptiworms. I think that will be my next investment. Not sold on the roaches though, yet. UGH! They creep me out! :shock:

jodavis10

Original Poster
I like the snack pack idea. I think I'll order one!!Does anyone know if there is a guide on the forum anywhere on setting up a roach colony. I've done some reading but some pics of set ups would be helpful because I'm not able to picture in my head how the setup should look. Does anyone have some pics of their set ups they could post??

kFitz

Hatchling Member
phoenix worms are great, the only problem is that they're soo small! Even the larges. I ended up feeding WAY to many for the cost to be worth it. I do still use them in rotation, just not as a staple.

There are a few posts for dubia colony set-up in the feeders section. Most of them have a ton of pictures going step by step and a list of what you need. Let us know if you decide to start up a colony and how it goes! I've debated it, but have yet to bite the bullet.

Mustashio

Juvie Member
Yes, I'm still torn on the dubia idea. I mean it is one thing if a cricket gets loose in my house, but a roach? Eeewe! I have heard fabulous things and even the reptile shop I go to for crickets has been trying to convince me about dubias. I just dunno.... :puke:

~Jill

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Well if one or more do get loose in your house, they will just die. Unless of course you live in a tropical climate with food scattered on your floor. :mrgreen:

kFitz

Hatchling Member
The first time I ordered phoenix worms, about a dozen of them got out somehow (I had them in their tubs, inside a wine fridge... go figure). Anyway, I was finding the creepy black soldier flies in the terrarium and throughout my house for about a month! So gross. Those things are huge! I've kept dubias that I've bought for about a month at a time while I fed them off and never had a problem with them getting out. Plus, if any get out, just let the beardie roam for a bit. Mine went after them like crazy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JGFill
Top Bottom