Best Worms as a feeder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enyalius11

Hey there everyone,

i need some advise. my beardie doesn't like crickets in the least and at the moment i can't get a hold of dubias. He loves mealworms and according to petsmart they're good as a daily feeder. To my understanding from what i've seen on this site and others is that mealworms are higher in fat than everything else save for superworms. so my question is what are the best worms to feed a young and growing beardie? waxworms, calci/phoenix worms, silkworms?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Best is a subjective term.

IMO, best, in order - Silkworms, butterworms, BSFL variants, and hornworms.
Mealworms and waxworms shouldn't be fed at all IMO. Superworms shouldn't be fed until the dragon is over 16 inches in length.

Don't forget about dubia roaches as an option, although they are not worms.

-Brandon

DixieLonestar20x

Hatchling Member
How quickly can you get ahold of some dubias? I read that you can't get any right now....

I don't and have never fed worms as a staple. I have fed calciworms before as a treat but they are pretty high in fat. If you need to get by just for a day or two calciworms are fine. Meal worms can get you by but that is a big can. if you take this route, try to get some that have freshly molted their shell (lightest colored ones) as they will be the easiest to digest. Please only take this route though if you are snowed in and already have some as there are much better options....

- Justin

Enyalius11

Original Poster
ideally i would like to get a dubia colony going but the mrs isn't a big fan. from the research i've done i know they can't climb tupperware, don't really fly and will die outside of the humid enclosure. if i can convince her to tolerate them i would go for it but i keep hearing that they're the best as a staple but difficult to breed. is that true? if i buy a colony "starter set" from dubideli, how long do you think i'll have to wait before i get enough to feed Erik on a daily basis? lastly, since i only have the one small dragon, would a colony out populate his appetite?

magicmagni

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Jackson
Variety is key, but good stables are Phoenix worm (highest CA of any feeder) Silkworms, Dubia and gutloaded/ dusted crickets.

Wax worms, butter worms are very high in fat so better to stay away from those or only feed as a treat. Mealworms are best to stay away from. Not much nutritional value there.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
magicmagni":1uq0wl8t said:
butter worms are very high in fat so better to stay away from those or only feed as a treat.

Very wrong. Butterworms are actually extremely low in fat, and one of the best and healthiest feeder worms you can get, next to silkworms.

Do not confuse butterworms (good) with waxworms (bad).

-Brandon

magicmagni

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Jackson
That's interesting. I was always under the impression that Butterworms were very similar to waxworms except that they had more calcium. If they are low in fat I don't see why they wouldn't make for a great feeder as well! Might you have any references that show their nutritional content? I would like to see that.

magicmagni

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Jackson
Well did some looking around and here is a good chart that shows nutritional value of common worms.. (my bad on the butterworms. They are not as high in fat as I thought, but not so high in protein as compared to say the silkworm. For you young dragon I would think the best are ones that are high in protein (to support good growth) and Calcium (to support strong bones)

9437865.jpg

Sauzo

Sub-Adult Member
@Enyalius11
Dubias are actually very easy to breed. Just give them heat and they pretty much will do the rest. You can google or youtube setups and stuff since its way too much to type out. As for buying a start kit, it boils down to 2 options. The speedy and expensive or the slow and cheap. Let me start by saying most of the kits can be bought very cheap. You can buy a 45 gallon Rubbermaid( I prefer Rubbermaid over sterilite since they have thinner bottoms making it easier to heat) for around $20 from Home Depot. You can get egg crates or cartons for dirt cheap too. Then the food dish and water dish, again just buy some small aluminum loaf baking tins from a grocery store. And finally the heater, I just use a UTH. That's about the most expensive part. But all together, that setup should run you maybe $50 dollars.

Now the roaches, as I said cheap and slow or expensive and fast. Cheap and slow involves just ordering a bunch of large nymphs and letting them grow. Generally if oyu buy the largest you can get(around 1+ inches), they should about a molt or 2 away from adulthood. Once they turn into adults then you need to do a count of males and females and go from there. Then you generally want to wait 1 generation(about 6 months) for those new adults babies to turn into adults. Then you should be good to feed out of it.

The fast and expensive way is to buy a bunch of adults and then say a mixed bunch of probably 500 and let them go around 2-3 months. Then you can probably start feeding out of it. As to how many you need, rule of thumb is 3x the amount your dragon eats in a month. So say your dragon eats 200 a month, you will want to be making around 600 babies a month. Each female has around 20ish babies a month. Personally I would check local craigslist or ebay. I picked up freshly molted adult females at $0.80 each from a guy locally who had 2 colonies. It makes it easy cause you can just meet him and get them, no need for shipping or the chance of death from shipping or cold weather. I did this to bolster my colony which is also a good idea every 6 months to 1 year imo to keep the genes fresh and flowing so you don't end up with inbred hillbilly roaches :p

Regardless of which direction you go, you can sell the xtras on craigslist or ebay or here or whatever. As for worms, I used to feed Harley phoenix worms when she was a very small baby. Butterworms and hornworms and silkworms all work too but hornworms grow very fast so unless you feed them fast, they will probably outgrow a very small dragon. Butterworms are good but unless you specifically order small ones, you will end up with 1+ inch ones in the mix which again is too big for a very small dragon. Silkworms are pretty much inbetween all that, they grow medium speed but seem like a lot of work to me with heat, need for sterile condtions, having to make the chow and everything. I just did phoenix worms and dubia roaches along with greens for Harley when she was very small. Now that she is a 16 inch lazy fat slug, I feed her greens, dubias, butterworms, hornworms, and as a treat, i'll buy large silkworms once in awhile. I have never fed her mealworms or superworms and doubt I ever will.

Enyalius11

Original Poster
fantastic information everyone. i appreciate your help. i'll start hunting down phoenix worms online and work towards the dubia colony. 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom