Best way to sanitize wooden decor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey! So I’m conflicted, I’ve been trying to revamp my beardie setup. He’s kind of a rescue (previous owner cared for him a lot but wasn’t super educated on care for them) so I’ve been slowly upgrading his stuff (uvb, heat, decor etc) and I have this wooden (store bought) hide sort of thing that has wire in it so I can bend it however, I’ll try and insert a picture of it. I used it for my tortoise for a little bit but became a hazard because he kept trying to climb it and I was worried he’d fall off of it. So I’d like to use it for my beardie! It seems to soak up the heat good and stay warm so I’d like to use it under his basking spot. And lay it flat. However since I used it for my tortoise I should sanitize it I’m guessing??? I just don’t know how since it’s wood and it will soak up any disinfectant that I use. Do I just soak in hot water and air dry?? I’ve heard of people sanitizing wood from outside in the oven but this one has plastic coated wire in it so I don’t think I can do that. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 95

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If you can’t bake it due to the plastic, then i’d probably just scrub it and wash it with hot water then maybe spray some veterinary disinfectant on it, rinse, and air dry it. That should be enough. A steam cleaner would probably do a nice job sanitizing it as well.

Srgeorge2177

Original Poster
If you can’t bake it due to the plastic, then i’d probably just scrub it and wash it with hot water then maybe spray some veterinary disinfectant on it, rinse, and air dry it. That should be enough. A steam cleaner would probably do a nice job sanitizing it as wells ha
If you can’t bake it due to the plastic, then i’d probably just scrub it and wash it with hot water then maybe spray some veterinary disinfectant on it, rinse, and air dry it. That should be enough. A steam cleaner would probably do a nice job sanitizing it as well.
Do you know what kind of veterinary disinfectant? Like chlorhexidine? I know that’s safe for reptiles, but is there anything else?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I use f10. Rescue is also a good option. I think zoomed makes one called wipeout, but I haven’t tried it.

Srgeorge2177

Original Poster
I use f10. Rescue is also a good option. I think zoomed makes one called wipeout, but I haven’t tried it.
I have wipeout which I use on glass and hard easy clean surfaces. But I think it would soak in to the wood and I know they cannot ingest that so I was going to try something else out before using that. I will look up f10, thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom