Best way to gain beardie trust

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeobyte

Hi all,

I've had my 5 month old beardie for about 10 days now. He is my first dragon and on the whole it has been a very successful 10 days. He let's me pick him up a few times a day without biting or hissing. I have handled my friends dragon for over two years so am quite confident with handling them. I also both hand feed him locusts and let him catch them on his own. He is used to being fed from my hand.

He doesn't exactly enjoy being handled though. He goes very stiff and his tail points directly into the air and he tries to scramble back into his viv. He occasionally black beards slightly too. I only let him out for less than 5 minutes at a time and he spends most of this time trying to go back.

Now I'm not expecting miracles from him as it has only been 10 days and believe he has settled in incredibly well. However what I want is to make sure I'm doing the right thing and that he will grow to trust me and be happy to be with me out of the viv. I know Rome wasn't built in a day. Am I going about this correctly and is there anything else that I can be doing?

Thanks

Fauzt0

Hello,
Seems like the beardie needs to get used to his new home. I would say that you're probably doing the right thing. Make sure to get "level" with your beardie by laying down and letting him hang on your chest with your hands on him. Seems to like the warmth and will also see you as a partner and not a threat. Hand feeding is cool and all but it will make your buddy lazy. You already said you do both so that's good. Dragons can see in full color so maybe make sure you're not wearing super crazy colors until he gets to know you more.I hope this helps. I'm not an expert but it seems like hes on the right track. I'm sure with time he will be totally chill.
Good luck!!!

PS: Whats his name?!?!

Zeobyte":ncxmzmcz said:
Hi all,

I've had my 5 month old beardie for about 10 days now. He is my first dragon and on the whole it has been a very successful 10 days. He let's me pick him up a few times a day without biting or hissing. I have handled my friends dragon for over two years so am quite confident with handling them. I also both hand feed him locusts and let him catch them on his own. He is used to being fed from my hand.

He doesn't exactly enjoy being handled though. He goes very stiff and his tail points directly into the air and he tries to scramble back into his viv. He occasionally black beards slightly too. I only let him out for less than 5 minutes at a time and he spends most of this time trying to go back.

Now I'm not expecting miracles from him as it has only been 10 days and believe he has settled in incredibly well. However what I want is to make sure I'm doing the right thing and that he will grow to trust me and be happy to be with me out of the viv. I know Rome wasn't built in a day. Am I going about this correctly and is there anything else that I can be doing?

Thanks

That's very normal so don't worry :). An exercise I did with one of my beardies who tried to bite me every time I picked him up was by just putting my hand in his tank and letting him see that I am not a threat. Once he realizes that you are not a threat try petting him. Then when he gets comfortable with that try picking him up for various amounts of time. Eventually he will get used to getting picked up and realize nothing bad happens when gets taken out of his vivarium. Hope this helps!

Zeobyte

Original Poster
Thanks both for the replies. His name is Yoshi. He seems to be getting a bit better. He never goes to bite and doesn't run away from being picked up. He just always wants to go straight back into his viv. I am going to try to make him feel safe and happy in the living room running around the floor etc. I've seen some videos of beardies wanting to be let out the viv go have a run around and be handled by their owners. Thats the goal. Any advice on how I can make him more happy coming out the viv?

Thanks both!

Zeobyte":1in7rn9s said:
Thanks both for the replies. His name is Yoshi. He seems to be getting a bit better. He never goes to bite and doesn't run away from being picked up. He just always wants to go straight back into his viv. I am going to try to make him feel safe and happy in the living room running around the floor etc. I've seen some videos of beardies wanting to be let out the viv go have a run around and be handled by their owners. Thats the goal. Any advice on how I can make him more happy coming out the viv?

Thanks both!
An idea I have is that you could try feeding him a few bugs or whatever his favorite food is outside of his vivarium, but only give him a few bites because you don't want him thinking going out means food. I guess just let him have fun and let him do his own thing don't really force him to do anything. Just take him out and let him wander around, but don't let him get lost. My male just likes to explore and walk around, but at night if I turn the lights off and cover him with a blanket when hes laying on my chest he will fall asleep. Just try not to put pressure on him and over time he should get more comfortable going out of his viv. Tell me how is is in a couple of days. Hope he gets better! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
angiemeyer8561
Top Bottom