Best way to feed Dubias-round 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

YATES

Okay--- So I bought a dog type feeding dish and most of the roaches can't escape but my beardie dosent touch them. If I let them loose he eventually eats most of them but then there are always a few hiding to where he can't get him. Given-- he is LAZY and usually waits for the roaches to wander close and then he attacks. My beardie dosen't jump when he sees a roachhttp://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/posting.php?mode=post&f=18# like some peoples.
Should I
1- Leave the dubias in the dog bowl and he will eventually figure it out? (Tough love style)

or

2- let the roaches loose in his enclosure and leave them be (annoying moving his stuff every night to find the roaches)

THANK YOU!!!

YATES

Original Poster
No advice... Okay- I am currently letting the roaches roam in his cage and he is eating more every day. I just give him small to medium roaches in the evening and he eats almost all of them> He does not eat the adult males (adult dubias too large? Hes 19 inches!)

wes

Juvie Member
Yates, I regret using the dog bowl. We had been taking our beardie out of his cage to feed him and he would eat about 15 0.75-1" nymphs per day. So we decided to try the dog bowl so he could eat whenever he was hungry during the day. I don't know if it was the challenge of eating out of a bowl that is barely deep enough to keep the roaches from escaping or just seeing that many roaches in one place in his cage, but he ate very few out of the bowl. He rarely wants them anymore whether out of his cage or hand fed. It seems too coincidental for me to say it was not the bowl, but of course there could be some other reason unbeknownst to me.

Momto3boys

Sub-Adult Member
I always feed Moose in a seperate feeding bin, I never thought about using a ceramic type dish to keep the roaches in...

ArchiesFamily

Juvie Member
We have both options going on right now. I just replaced a plastic dog bowl that had become scratched up by Scout's wild NASCAR-like loops around his cage, through his dubia bowl, through his salad bowl -always making right-hand turns; I guess that's Bizarro world NASCAR - hmmmm. The dubia will climb out if they can get the least little bit of friction going. So we now have some rogue dubia who are hiding out in the trees and other furniture in the viv. I've seen a few crawl past him (when he's already on the ground) and he will eat them. He will not get off his basking rock or anything else to eat one. I just bought new ceramic bowls to keep the dubia in. Scout is pretty good about going to his bowl when he's hungry. I have discovered if I only have a few in there he wont go to the bowl, if I have too many or ones that are too large in there I think he's intimidated. I have to get it just right for him. I do handfeed the adult males to him, that's the only way he'll eat them, but the rest go into the bowl.

remi1

Juvie Member
I'm currently waiting for my colony to get to the point of being self-sustaining, but in the interim I switched to supers (because crickets are annoying). I bought these pencil holder-things about 8" long, 2-3" wide and 2"-ish deep for a couple of dollars and started putting their supers in there. It took both dragons a few days to figure it out, but they eventually did and now it works great. And when the colony is more mature, it'll be easy to toss in their roaches. It's especially nice because I have to leave early in the morning before they're completely warmed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom