Best way to buy crickets in bulk? and maintain them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nair88

Gray-bearded Member
i just use an 18-gallon plastic tote with a screen replacing most of the top. here's a picture of the little cricket city:

IMG_4551.jpg

but i'm sure glass is fine too :)

ersl12

Original Poster
Thanks for the picture! We had a similar plastic crate, but had to throw it out because of the smell. I like the screen idea and toilet paper rolls!

Gail

BD.org Addict
Have you though about getting a colony of dubia? Once they are established you basically have free feeders and they don't smell near as bad as crickets plus they don't jump nor will they nibble on your dragon if some get left in the tank overnight.

Agonistes

Gail":1lxfgeq4 said:
Have you though about getting a colony of dubia? Once they are established you basically have free feeders and they don't smell near as bad as crickets plus they don't jump nor will they nibble on your dragon if some get left in the tank overnight.

Not my topic, but I thought I would add that Dubia give me goose-bumps. The thought of having them in my house and the notion that the cats might one day get into them and knock their tank over scares me! Although they are much easier to maintain, I will note.

discojan

Juvie Member
I've used paper towels as substrate and hides; every 4 days or so I change the paper towels and it helps reduce the smell and keep the crickets clean. I ordered 1000 from reptilefood.com, and gut load them with whatever veggies I feed the dragons. That many crickets eat a surprising amount of produce! One whole collard leaf a day, plus oranges, berries.

bhigginsjr88

Hatchling Member
I keep my crickets in a rubbermaid container but I use the shredded coconut substrate that a lot of people use for rainforest style terrariums. I put just enough in so its about 1/2*inch to 3/4 of an inch thick covering the entire bottom of the container. It helps extremely well with the smell and it also gives crickets a place to lay eggs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brikev9799
Top Bottom