Best place to get feeders when you live in an igloo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toria88

So... I obviously don't live in an igloo. I do, however, live in North Dakota. :| At the moment when I am typing this, it is currently 0º Fahrenheit. So... It's cold here. Last week it was actually pretty warm, and in the 30's, but it's starting to get colder. January is usually one of the coldest months, often getting into the negatives, -20º's and -30º's. My question is... Where is the best place to order feeders online, and will they be alive when they get here? I've ruled out ordering crickets online, as they are not very tough when it comes to cold temps. I've just been buying my crickets at my local Petco or Petsmart. However, I really want to start feeding my baby Puff Phoenix worms as a staple. What sites do you guys recommend? I'm also wanting to try silk worms and horn worms (when he gets bigger). Also, are shipping costs outrageous in the winter? I've never ordered my feeders online, so any advice would be helpful. :) Thanks!!

I know I've read a lot of feeder sellers give you the option of having the package held at the post office if temps are an issue. Some will add heat packs for an additional charge. I haven't had to do that yet, but have read about it.

Not a lot of help re: who, but there are options.

Toria88

Original Poster
Whoops, this was intended to go in the "feeders" section, not "feeding". :oops: Whoops! There are a couple of websites that I've found on here that I might try. I'll have to look for someone that ships a heat pack in the box! Thanks for the tip.

sweetpea1981

Juvie Member
This is the place I've been using shipping is just $5.95 which is the best I've found http://www.phoenixworm.com, I just ordered the large ones 1,ooo count, last time I order 600 small but the smalls are really small, The large ones are better for my baby.

We also order ours from www.phoenixworm.com My beardie is full grown and good sized, but I only give him other bugs occasionally as treats. Phoenix worms are our staple, and by far his favorite.

I live in a rural, high altitude town in Oregon. The nearest store that sells feeders is 2hrs away.

Orders from this site are always shipped with a tracking number. The day they arrive at my local post office, I call and ask them to hold the package for me. That way, the worms aren't being driven around town all day in the summer heat or winter cold. In fair weather, I just let them deliver to my door though. The folks at the post office have always been very accommodating as soon as I tell them there is live food in the package, even when I lived in a major metro.

Toria88

Original Poster
sweetpea1981":2f6rmckr said:
Orders from this site are always shipped with a tracking number. The day they arrive at my local post office, I call and ask them to hold the package for me. That way, the worms aren't being driven around town all day in the summer heat or winter cold. In fair weather, I just let them deliver to my door though. The folks at the post office have always been very accommodating as soon as I tell them there is live food in the package, even when I lived in a major metro.

Thank you for the advice, I will definitely do that! I just ordered the 100 count of worms from their site. Hopefully the Post Office here will be willing to hold it for me. I hate, hate, hate crickets, so I hope they get here alive!

sweetpea1981

Juvie Member
You shouldn't have any problems with them, let them warm up a bit first if they are cold, they become more active when warm. And they can be stored at room temperature or a little below. Your baby should LOVE them, plus they are chock full of calcium so they are a great staple feeder, and they are soft bodied so not much worry about impaction.

Yep I just got my first order from phoenixworms.com also. My beardie ate so many the first time .... He ended up puking! (Actually I don't think we got enough of that "stuff" off of them & the combo = suck dragon)

Hope that they work out for you & your beardie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dobby2012
Top Bottom