Best natural sun exposure time?

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Hey guys it's getting nicer out and I wanted to expose my beardies to some natural sunlight how long should they be out in the sun? It's not that warm out but sitting in the sun here and there till it is nicer out I heard was better than UVB bulbs. I have my Amber out hanging out with me no signs of stress right now I heard 10 mins to be max but that seems very short

Note: My Chubbs freaked out full black beard and puffed up so I immediately brought her inside

Attachments

• 16513463430184261943712607324763.jpg
    16513463430184261943712607324763.jpg
    440.3 KB · Views: 88
  • 16513463829957120358322961795611.jpg
    16513463829957120358322961795611.jpg
    381.2 KB · Views: 60

smaugthebeardie3756

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Smaug
I keep my guy out for 30 minute to an hour usually. I've heard that all day under the UV bulbs is equal to about 20 minutes of full sun in the Australian Outback where they're from, so I don't think a 10 minute max is reasonable at all. I've even heard of dragons being housed in outdoor enclosures where the weather allows. I would do what you did, pay attention to their behavior and if they look stressed, take them inside. Otherwise I wouldn't be too worried about a firm maximum time.

One suggestion would be to get a plastic tote or a portable pet playpen or something and give some kind of shade over part of it and a basking spot. That way they can spend time out there and regulate the way they do in the enclosure. Or if you have a yard, make a fenced in safe area for them.

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I keep my guy out for 30 minute to an hour usually. I've heard that all day under the UV bulbs is equal to about 20 minutes of full sun in the Australian Outback where they're from, so I don't think a 10 minute max is reasonable at all. I've even heard of dragons being housed in outdoor enclosures where the weather allows. I would do what you did, pay attention to their behavior and if they look stressed, take them inside. Otherwise I wouldn't be too worried about a firm maximum time.

One suggestion would be to get a plastic tote or a portable pet playpen or something and give some kind of shade over part of it and a basking spot. That way they can spend time out there and regulate the way they do in the enclosure. Or if you have a yard, make a fenced in safe area for them.
I'm thinking of making a playpen type of area or even allowing them free roam in my front yard I just worry bc they taste everything. I don't want then to pick anything up since I have dogs and wild bunnies that roam once in awhile. Testing it out and getting them used to being out in the sun will be good my Chubbs just tweaked after 5-10mins so that will be something to watch out for

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom