Best MVB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nyxcgf

I'm looking to get a new uvb bulb for Nyx, but the reptisun 10.0 or really any tube isn't an option. What's the best, healthy MVB bulb for a 40 gallon breeder? And the wattage in my current basking bulb is 100 and the temps are perfect so somewhere around there would be nice.

TheGuvnor

I'd always stay with Arcadia. I have Arcadia T8's, they are great. But the best has to be the Arcadia T5 12% + D3 UVB. No question about it.
Im in the UK, not sure about US stocks etc. Guess should be good.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree that the Arcadias are the best. We are now using the Arcadia MVB's and they are awesome. Both our beardies LOVE their bulbs and their colors are as bright as can be. One of the tanks is a 40 gallon breeder and I'm using an 80 watt MVB on a lamp stand & it works very well. Todd is awesome to deal with, welcomes emails & phone calls too.

www.lightyourreptiles.com

Nyxcgf

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply! I'd have to say that i'm going with the solar glo. I can't find any bad things about them, and I know arcadia may be best but for a 16 year old boy I just don't have a lot of money!

Soulwind

Sub-Adult Member
Be aware that with the Arcadia MVB bulbs (if you're in the US),
that you'll also need step-up transformers as they require 220 volts
to operate.

The Arcadia 12 long tube florescents (T8 models at least) will work
in US fixtures with US voltages, but the MVB's don't.

I'm using the Arcadia MVB's now, and I've used PowerSun's in the past,
and I must say that I like the Arcadia's better overall, even with the
voltage issues.

The PowerSun's I had, all three, burned out and stopped working after
about 5 months. That may be more due to my spikey power than the
bulb, but . . .

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
We did purchase the transformers too, Todd has them for sale on his site or you can order them through Amazon with free shipping.

Very impressed with the Arcadia MVB's and since I have a Solar Meter, I expect to be able to get 2 yrs from them so a very good investment and saves lots of $ in the long run.

Fizzylady

Hatchling Member
Where can I buy an Arcadia bulb? I just bought a brand new Flukers MVB and it is barely giving off any heat. I'm so annoyed @@

Fizzylady

Hatchling Member
diamc":2t5lnmfj said:
http://www.lightyourreptiles.com He guarantees everything he sells.

Thank you! I realized after I posted that I had missed that link up on top. Does the converter use up ridiculous energy? How has your electric bill been since starting to use that? I am so tired of unreliable mvb's!

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
We actually are using 2 transformers, 1 with each 80 watt MVB and we haven't noticed any change in our electric light bill.

kelii

Hatchling Member
I'm looking for a new mvb too. What transformer do you buy? Thanks
Does it work with a timer? Sorry for the stupid questions, but I don't know anything about electrical stuff :oops:

Soulwind

Sub-Adult Member
kelii":dtohulde said:
I'm looking for a new mvb too. What transformer do you buy? Thanks
Does it work with a timer? Sorry for the stupid questions, but I don't know anything about electrical stuff :oops:

You need a Step-Up Transformer (usually sold as Step-Up/Step-Down)
[but do not get a Step-Down only type] to take the voltage from 110v to 220v.

Model and Size doesn't really matter, as you'll only be pulling 80-100 watts
for the bulb (depending on which bulb you use), so you don't need a heavy-duty model. And yes, you can plug them into a timer just like anything else.

I'd just get the cheapest you can find.
I got mine from amazon for $15.00 each, with shipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom