Best bulbs for 75 Gallon tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

YurisMom

I am on the hunt for hotter basking bulbs. I have two fixtures, and in each I currently have a 75 watt household bulb that I have come to realize is NOT hot enough. (I have a temp gun) Each fixture can take up to a 150 watt bulb each, but I do not know what wattage I need. I have a 75 Gallon tank and the basking spot is reading 80-85 with the 2- 75 watt bulbs. I obviously know this is not hot enough, but I am not familiar with bigger bulbs.

What wattage should I be using in the fixtures, and where should I buy the bulbs? Some say pet store bulbs are best, and some say household bulbs are best. Thoughts?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there....are the fixtures resting on the screen on top of the tank, and if so are they the black pet store ones or the aluminum ? The reason I ask is because the aluminum ones are much better for reflecting heat down in the tank. You can get them at most Walmart's,Lowe's, Home Depot, Agway....just be sure to get ones with a porcelain socket of course. I think you can still find high wattage househould bulbs at these same stores....if not just get clear white basking/heat bulbs from the pet store. You also have the option of mercury vapor bulbs like Powersun 100....if you get a fixture that can handle higher wattage you can go with the Powersun 160. The mercury vapor bulbs provide both heat and UVB.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes, try the halogen bulbs.....the 100 watt should be fine, but you will just have to experiment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FalkorBeardie :3
Top Bottom