Best bulb for a 40 gallon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I have a 40 breeder with one beardie in it. I've been using a blue 60 watt daylight bulb but I don't like it. I'm wanting to switch to the basking bulb 75w or 50w don't think 50 would be enough but figure I'd get some opinions. Thanks

1beardie

Hatchling Member
I have a 40 gallon and I have the 100 watt basking bulb... It is a little much. If I put it directly over the basking spot it is way too hot... well over 120 degrees....I would go with the 75 watt. When mine burns out thats what I'll be buying instead of the 100 watt.

Cstrickland22

Original Poster
I tried the 75 I'm actually taking it back tmrw because it barely got the basking spot to 88.3 degrees but I appreciate the tip might have to get a clamp lamp to kill off the extra heat by moving it farther from the tank. Thanks for the reply tho let's me see a problem ahead of time

Cnochur

Hatchling Member
I have a 40gal and found that my 75w didn't create enough heat, but that a 100w created too much. That's when I put the 100w on one of those adjustable lamp stands and raised it about 6-8 inches above the tank. Now it creates a good 105-110 degree hot spot and leaves the cool side of the tank at 75-80.

Cstrickland22

Original Poster
Got the 100 watt and it's staying around 100 degrees I work at a local pet store so if it gets too hot I'll get the clamp lamp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom