Best bugs to feed to a 9" beardie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

erikadickson

Hatchling Member
I've read that meal worms are bad because it's hard for young beardies to digest. What bugs do you guys suggest, and what size, for a 9" beardie?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Crickets, Dubia Roaches, Silk Worms, and Phoenix Worms are all good choices. Small roaches and crickets and large worms would probably be best for now at 9''.

erikadickson

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Okay thanks! I just picked up some crickets for now. While I was there I also got a can of dead crickets to use when I can't go to the store to get more live ones. What do you guys think of canned crickets? I was reading that people think they aren't ask good because you can't gut load them and they don't have as good of a water supply as live ones. But what if I dust them in calcium? And the ones I got aren't freeze dried either- they're actually really moist. Just wanted some second opinions!

ALSO, i've already made a post asking about this but haven't gotten any comments so I just figured i'd see if either of you can help me out here. I just picked up a Reptisun 10.0 UVB T5 HO 22" bulb today but I don't have a fixture. The only ones I can find online are around $50 which is a lot. Do you think this fixture could work??:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Jasco-Jasco-10185-Basic-Fluorescent-UCF-Plug-In/29776871

Something like this of course would be optimal, but it's $40. Do you happen to know of any similar kinds that are cheaper?:
http://www.amazon.com/Reptile-T5HO-Standard-Fixture-Reflector/dp/B00K2AY8EW/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1440880046&sr=8-15&keywords=22%22+t5ho+fixture&pebp=1440880060428&perid=01SJS5JYQZFXH6VBC4XE

Thanks guys, I'm desperate to find a cheap light fixture since I'm using a compact uvb right now (which i've been told is bad for them) and I just spent almost $30 on the new bulb but don't have any fixture to put it in :(

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I don't have experience or test results with that so I'm not sure how it would work. Without the reflective backing it would likely have an effective range that is lower than the typical 12-14'' but I can't say by how much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom