Belated crooked tail

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeventyGTX

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Goonie":1q5nhl1h said:
SeventyGTX":1q5nhl1h said:
Goonie, not exactly sure what you mean. But her tail can go to the right, but the kink is always there. I have to admit, the past three or four years I have not changed her bulb (MegaRay) as often as I used to. :oops:
I wanted to find out if her tail was permanently turned to the left, or it could freely move and straighten out for exception of the kink.

If need be, UV bulbs could be stretched up to 1 year, depending on the make, but no more than that.

In addition to changing the UV bulb, you should start giving her liquid calcium on a twice-daily basis for about a month, then 3 times a week after that (normal calcium intake amount).

Her tail is very flexible, left or right. When she is chugging along the carpet or when I let her go outside, it is straight, except for the kink. I will see if I can locate some liquid calcium. We live in a small town with no pet stores, at least reptile supplies, so will have to find it online. I have some powdered calcium I used to give her quite a while ago.
Here is a quick pic from my cell of her running along the wall with her tail straight....

2r7xb2t.jpg

daner923

Gray-bearded Member
Are you saying that you aren't supplementing with calcium regularly? :shock: Adult beardies need calcium 3x a week on their bugs.

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
You can get flavored liquid calcium from Tracie's site (she's one of the Moderators).
Those powdered calcium and multi-vitamins have expiration dates.

If you like the all in one kind of bulb you can try a Powersun bulb.I am using it with Leonard and he is growing like a weed..I have also used it with some of my other reptiles..

DTRM30

Hatchling Member
having some expeirence with MBD - I would say that definitely looks like the start of it. Especially if there have been no recent accidents that could cause a fracture, and no calcium supplements or a new UVB bulb.

I would say start by getting those two things back on track as suggested. But keep in mind any bone deformities will never reverse. Be careful of climbing or falls though - if it is MBD starting, then her bones will be weaker and can break more easily.

There is a lot of information out there on it if you want to google it to learn a bit more, but for a quick description of the disease/disorder... Basically, MBD (and hypocalcemia) is caused by a lack of calcium in the body due to an improper balance between calcium and phosphorous, a lack of calcium supplements, a lack of proper UVB for the body to produce D3 which is needed to absorb calcim, or a combination thereof. But either way, the body does not have enough calcium available to absorb into bone and muscle structure. The body starts to pull calcium from the bone structure to utilize it for things such as muscle control. The results are weakened bones, bone deformities, muscle control problems, seizures and possible fractures. If left untreated, it can cause death. It is a disorder that affects not only reptiles, but mamals as well - including people. D3 is naturally produced by the body when exposed to unfiltered sunlight (UVB rays) and the amount needed varies depending on the species. Supplemental D3 such as in powdered form generally do not provide enough D3 to the body so UVB light is still required.

My dragon likes the PowerSun 100 MVB it and basks quite a bit under it. Be sure to make note of the minimum safe distance. I know they had some issues a while back, but I think for the most part they are OK now if you prefer the all in one like your previous Megaray. I, too, was looking to get a Megaray but they are currently unavailable. The breeder I bought our dragon from seems to think they may be gone permanently.

mazais

bunnyrut":3tsrs2uw said:
Mega Ray is also a top of the line bulb. i had one, but they ended up being back ordered for too long and i had to switch to another bulb.

you have to make sure you are changing the bulbs every 6 months (i know mega rays are supposed to last longer, i just can't remember how long).
mvbs last 9 months... atleast thats what ive heard. :D :blob8:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hseith
Top Bottom