Being a HUGE meanie out of nowhere!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ilix

My Aether is just over 3 months old. I take him out at least once a day, except I didn't yesterday because I really just didn't have the time. He was fed, and he has water all the time (plus I spritz him with a bit now and then to make sure he's drinking), and nothing has changed with his lamps. But today all I had to do was just SIT by his tank and he was suddenly running around with his mouth open in his tank. And I went to just pour some more dry food in and he was LEAPING up to bite the container and my hand. He leapt to bite at my hand when to take out his little hut I made him that he sleeps in (I take it out so the crickets can't hide in it). Then I went to pour live crickets in, and he was BITING the container. Clearly he was very hungry, but he gets fed at the same time all the time, and he always has his dry food (and he eats it!). I'll be giving him more greens today. But either way, I'm really upset that he's being so rude :cry: I'm afraid to take him out now because I didn't even have enough crickets to satisfy him, and he might bite me. He's never been this bad.

Gail

BD.org Addict
Is he only getting crickets once a day? I would increase his food, he should get bugs at least twice a day. Make sure you hold him when he is being a brat, you don't want him to learn that being a bully scares you away. At three months, a bite from him won't hurt so don't be afraid.

He could just be having a bad or possibly he is starting puberty but he is a bit young for that.

Ostrommaysi

Hatchling Member
Feed him bugs twice a day, letting him eat as many as he wants till he stops. Then remove the rest. Growing beardies are like walking vacuums, you'll be surprised at how much they can suck down. You'll probably want to get rid of the dry food, so that when hes not eating crickets, he'll be eating his veggies. I've never used dry food with my beardie so I can't so for sure if its even any good for your pet or not.

Be sure to handle him regardless of his anger issues. You want him to get/remain used to you handling him. If you back away because of his tantrums he could possibly develop a habit of it.

Ilix

Original Poster
I'm going to get him some more crickets today. I haven't been able to get out lately because it's exam time and I've been closed in studying for the weekend. When he's full I'll try and take him out again later on today. He's also shedding right now (for some reason his tail shed first?? Haha) so I don't know if that has anything to do with his temper. After the bit I did give him today, he's letting me pet him. So maybe it had something to do with me sleeping in and turning his UV lamp on late.

Ilix

Original Poster
I gave him some more big cricks with the calcium and vit.D powder on them, then I gave him a bath in his basin and I chopped up some romaine and carrots for him. He's munching on them now. He seems in a better mood. I get so worried over silly things. I just really want him to love me. Haha.

Ostrommaysi

Hatchling Member
A good vegetable staple for beardies is greens. (IE Collard, Mustard ect) Lettuce has no nutritional value its mostly just water. I've also read of others giving blueberries or raspberries on occasion as a treat.

Something you may wish to invest in is a timer to plug your lights into. This way you can set times and the lights will go on and off automatically. Makes things worlds easier. I got mine at pet smart though I'm sure you can find timers other places for much cheaper.

Don't worry about being a worrisome beardie slave. Its when you don't worry that is a problem. A good owner always strives for the best for their beloved animal. That you care enough to find out more about them is a good sign

bdalton

Sub-Adult Member
just chiming in....you can get a timer at walmart for 4$ :) its fantastic! lol that was the problem with me, was when i didnt have work i would get up at different times and i was always worried about sleeping in too late and not turning the lights on soon enough so i went to walmart and found one for 4 bucks....it only has one outlet, the ones with 2-4 are more expensive so me being cheap just plugged my lights into an extension cord and plugged the extension cord into the timer. BEST 4$ i ever spent! and less of a headache of not worrying about her getting different hours of light all the time, and a better night sleep not having to wake up to turn lights on at 7am on the weekend!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom