Behavior change

Booey123

Beardie name(s)
Rex
Hi all, after some advice.
Iv had my dragon since June and he is around 7/8 months old. We’ve been doing daily bonding time outside of the enclosure, I typically pick him up, let him stay on me until he wants to climb off and explore. He has a wonder around and then would climb up my back up to my shoulder and perch. Now all of a sudden he doesn’t want to explore, just stays on me, and doesn’t seem to want to interact just ignores me and stays still like a little statue. Even when he’s in his enclosure he’s really just not wanting to interact.
He spends most of his day near his basking spot (basks after eating) and pops over to the cool side for food. He doesn’t hide from me or run away though.
He does seem to come out of one shed and go straight into the next, could this be something to do with it?
He eats well, bugs and some greens.
He’s also had a clear poop test. I’m not sure why there’s been this change in behavior? Just want him to be happy 😊

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Sheds can make them act weird for sure. Does he have stress marks on his stomach?

Booey123

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rex
No real stress marks, he had them when I first got him but nothing really prominent now, he’s not black bearded yet either. He just seems really miserable and I’m getting worried there’s more to it.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Maybe post pics of your boy and his setup, someone might spot something.
Also go over your lighting and temps if those are off he will not thrive or be ok.

Booey123

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rex
I’ll try and post some pictures too. Heat and lighting, I have the Arcadia Solar basking floodlight 100w and the Arcadia T5 desert 12% (lights set up like in the pic attached). It’s nighttime here so will try and get a picture of the little man in the morning. Basking platform, 40•c, warm side 33-35•c, centre of tank 30•c, cool side been trying to reduce temps here as weather has been very warm but managed to get it down to 26•c. He tends to hang out on the wooden ladder attached to his basking spot, which is mid 30’s with a laser temp reader. I have digital thermometers on the left, right and in the middle that are not seen in the picture and also take basking temp with a laser temp reader. Any suggestion more than welcome as I’m super stressed that he’s getting poorly and I know they.can go down hill really quickly x

Attachments

• IMG_9254.jpeg
    IMG_9254.jpeg
    284.3 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_9048.jpeg
    IMG_9048.jpeg
    116.3 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_9045.jpeg
    IMG_9045.jpeg
    201.8 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I’ll try and post some pictures too. Heat and lighting, I have the Arcadia Solar basking floodlight 100w and the Arcadia T5 desert 12% (lights set up like in the pic attached). It’s nighttime here so will try and get a picture of the little man in the morning. Basking platform, 40•c, warm side 33-35•c, centre of tank 30•c, cool side been trying to reduce temps here as weather has been very warm but managed to get it down to 26•c. He tends to hang out on the wooden ladder attached to his basking spot, which is mid 30’s with a laser temp reader. I have digital thermometers on the left, right and in the middle that are not seen in the picture and also take basking temp with a laser temp reader. Any suggestion more than welcome as I’m super stressed that he’s getting poorly and I know they.can go down hill really quickly x
Make sure your uvb is directly above the basking decor 12-15 inches

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
How big is your boy, your setup looks really good but if he is getting bigger he might be feeling cramped. What is the length and width of your habitat?

Booey123

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rex
Thank you all for taking the time to come back to me, much appreciated 🙂
So, my viv is 4x2x2, my little man is 7/8 months. he was 217 grams about 3 weeks ago. Iv attached some more photos so the placement of the lights can be seen. They are quite dark as I took them as I left for work and it’s another hour until his lights come on so he’s not at all impressed with me. Also, the uvb is on more of an angle and covers more of the tank then it looks in the photo.

Attachments

• IMG_9257.jpeg
    IMG_9257.jpeg
    186 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_9256.jpeg
    IMG_9256.jpeg
    200.3 KB · Views: 50

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Thank you all for taking the time to come back to me, much appreciated 🙂
So, my viv is 4x2x2, my little man is 7/8 months. he was 217 grams about 3 weeks ago. Iv attached some more photos so the placement of the lights can be seen. They are quite dark as I took them as I left for work and it’s another hour until his lights come on so he’s not at all impressed with me. Also, the uvb is on more of an angle and covers more of the tank then it looks in the photo.
Is your UVB in a fixture?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Ok that's a good size habitat so we can rule that out.
Is there something in the room that could be spooking him? Ceiling fans scare a lot if dragons, there was one here that was afraid of the wall art ect. Sometimes they get fixated on some really weird stuff. Maybe watch to see if he is lovked on to something in the room.

Booey123

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rex
Ok that's a good size habitat so we can rule that out.
Is there something in the room that could be spooking him? Ceiling fans scare a lot if dragons, there was one here that was afraid of the wall art ect. Sometimes they get fixated on some really weird stuff. Maybe watch to see if he is lovked on to something in the room.
I’ll have to have a look about but nothing really has changed, he is near a full length window so maybe I’ll close the shutters and see if that makes a difference as neighbourhood cats may come into the garden while im at work. I have a mini cam in the viv and today he seems to be on his ladder with his eyes closed, I’ll post a pic, the colour isn’t true as he’s not that pale but is going into shed around his mouth and front left leg
I’m just worried and have managed to get a vet appointment for Tuesday so hopefully that will either find out if there is anything more sinister going on 🧡

Attachments

• IMG_9258.jpg
    IMG_9258.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 39

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom