Behavior Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Musicmeg

Hello. I have a behavior concern with my Googlet. Googlet is normally very chill and just a really calm beardie that likes to be out and about and enjoys his snuggles. If some of your read my post in the enclosures section you would know that I moved him into a new slightly larger enclosure a few days ago. He is slightly lower to the ground than usually, but doesn't seem to mind people or the dog walking by. However, when I put something in his cage such as my hand, food, or the temperature gun he would puff, gape, black beard, and hiss. This is something he has NEVER done. Here are my possible thoughts about the behavior causes.

Delayed stress behavior due to the move(still eating fine).
Possible irritation due to basking temp being 5 degrees too low(fixed).
Changed diet to add Reptiworms.
Not used to objects entering from the front( previously entered from top opening).
Homonal-he had been headbobbing and rubbing the tank with his nose to get to my other male whenever he could see him through the old enclosure.
Combination of too much change at once.

He hasn't tried to bite, but he doesn't run away either. He holds his ground.
Of course I do not let his behavior change what I am doing. I threw a towel over him gave him a bath, burrito'd him, and held and pet him for a while. He puffed and struggled a few times, but eventually settled down. He is still wary when I put my hand in the enclosure or touch him in it, but he didn't start the full on hissing again. Any thoughts? Should I just give him time? Thanks for your help!

Musicmeg

Original Poster
Googlet just finished his reptiworms and is basking now. I put my hand in his enclosure to see if he would puff. Instead he pointed his eyes curiously every which way and allowed me to pet him all over like normal without irritation. I will test him later to see if he will still behave. Hoping his little attitude issue is gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom