Beginner setup - how does it look/setup queries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I recently took the dive into owning a bearded dragon and was just after some help with my setup to get it the best it can be.
My basking temp sits about 40-42c with a 100w spot light and cold side temps are about 22-24c. I cant seem to get the cold side temp to come up any higher, could i move the uva/uvb compact globe closer to the center of tank and put in a ceramic heat lamp in its place to help increase the general tank temperatures? Also the big rock on the left hand side of tank is that too close to the uva/uvb globe?

87705-6381063354.jpg
87705-7041010498.jpg
87705-8932435088.jpg
87705-3843309279.jpg

Also just after some pros and cons on the compact vs fluro tubes could i get a small fluro tube to fit across the top of my tank? Tank is 800 x 480 x 500mm or is it worth moving the compact closer to the basking lamp so he can bask and get the uvb light at the same time?

Last question, if i was to move to a fluro tube uv light in the tank where do you buy the housings? is it just a normal fluro light housing with a uva/uvb tube light in it?

Thanks in advance,
Dylan

quyllur

Hatchling Member
Hi Dylan and welcome!

You should definitely move your UVB next to your heat lamp so the concentration of UVB is available while basking.

The benefit of a tube UVB light is it provides UVB over a wider area instead of concentrated in a small area. If you can get one, it would probably be better. And yes, the fixture of a fluorescent tube UVB is the same as a regular fluorescent. Just make sure that if you get a T8 bulb that you get a T8 fixture, and if you get a T5HO bulb that you get a T5HO fixture.

To increase you cool side temps you could try blocking off a bit of the top of your mesh with something solid so it holds the heat better. Don't block the whole thing though as you still need ventilation.

brainlessfool

Original Poster
quyllur":2vw9omrl said:
Hi Dylan and welcome!

You should definitely move your UVB next to your heat lamp so the concentration of UVB is available while basking.

The benefit of a tube UVB light is it provides UVB over a wider area instead of concentrated in a small area. If you can get one, it would probably be better. And yes, the fixture of a fluorescent tube UVB is the same as a regular fluorescent. Just make sure that if you get a T8 bulb that you get a T8 fixture, and if you get a T5HO bulb that you get a T5HO fixture.

To increase you cool side temps you could try blocking off a bit of the top of your mesh with something solid so it holds the heat better. Don't block the whole thing though as you still need ventilation.

Ok cool! ill have a bit of a play around, would you recommend blocking the cold side vent or the basking side vent? ill shop around and see whats on the market in fluro setups! Is there any websites or brands you would recommend?

quyllur

Hatchling Member
Sorry, it looked in your photo like the top was open. I wouldn`t block either vent on second thought.

The best options for tube UVB are Reptisun 10.0 or Arcardia 12%, depending on which you can get in your area.

I personally have a a T5HO sunblaster fixture (purchased from gardening supply store) with a T5HO Reptisun 10.0 bulb.

The T5HO provides high levels of UVB at 12-14`` while the T8 needs to be closer to 6``, so which you get will depend on how close your dragon can get to it while basking.

Fluorescent`s don`t give off a lot of heat, but once you switch to a tube light it may bump your temps up just enough, but honestly I wouldn`t worry about your cool side being 24, your dragon will choose when he wants to be warm and move to his warmer side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom