Beginner Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

KatieKat

Juvie Member
Hi everyone, I'm new to the site and being a bearded dragon mommy.. I got my Beardie on the 15th of October,he was maybe two months old. But now he is three months old, very small only three inches. He is so sweet, from day one, he has been very calm and enjoys being held. But I do have a few questions..
1. My Bearded Dragon Kit came with Sand, and he had sand in his exhibit at Petco, should I give him sand? I have a terrium liner.. I have Vita Sand
2. Kovu is very picky. He would eat collard greens and kale a week or two ago, but now he won't touch veggies, I've tried tomato,peas,mango,watermelon..
Will he like veggies when he is older and start eating them? He'll only eat his mealworms and crickets..
3. What is better Repti-Calcium or Repti-Vite ?
4. Is D3 the best thing?

Ferociouscorpion

Hatchling Member
1. No, using sand puts your beardie at risk of impaction. Terrarium liner or slate tiles is what most people here would suggest.

2. You don't need to worry about them not eating vegetables at this age. Babies will not really eat them but you should just leave a some in the enclosure so they can nibble on it if they want. The diet should be about 70% protein 30% veggies. When they are 1-1.5 yrs old you would need to start transitioning them to a 70% veggie and 30% protein diet.

3. Not sure but I use Rep-cal Calcium with D3 and Rep-cal Herptivite. Make sure your calcium also has D3 it helps them absorb the calcium. I dust their feeders 5x a week will calcium and 2x with the herptivite vitamins.

4. Use calcium with D3.

KatieKat

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the help!
I always spriknly his crickets with the powder, but today I used the Repti-vite only.. hould I use the Retpi Calcium? I used RV because it had D3

Ferociouscorpion

Hatchling Member
You should dust crickets with the calcium 5x a week and repti-vite 2x a week. Your calcium doesn't have D3 but its better to dust them with calcium 5x a week since insects don't have the correct calcium ratio for your dragon to develop healthy bones. Just make sure you pick up calcium with D3 the next time you buy calcium. Also idk if you have a UVB bulb but you do need one so your dragon can use the calcium.

KatieKat

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Okay, I'll be sure to do that. And yeah, I have a UVB light. Thanks for all the help! Puts me at ease knowing he dosen't have to eat veggies quite yet!

pyffersnpaws

Juvie Member
Hi... welcome to the best forum I have found for our little family members. I totally agree with the everything you were told... Personally I use the non adhesive shelf liner for my "babies" I found it's easier to clean up after them and you can wipe it down...also, here is the link to a great website for a list of all food that is safe for the bearded dragons. Hope it helps, and we would love to see some pics of your baby.
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

Lisa

tgolden

Sub-Adult Member
I started mine on veggies from day one. I would suggest keep trying with the veggies, mine would eat them up like a pit bull on a stake then not touch them for days but having them there if they want them will make it easier on ya in the long run to get your dragon to eat the green stuff.
~tommie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChekeNerton523
Top Bottom