Before you buy your beardie...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thinker

I'm fairly new here on this forum, and fairly new at keeping bearded dragons, but have extensive experience keeping other herps. My large adult male BD arrived UPS in May '08 when my son left for overseas deployment in the Army. Hans is a fairly plain looking but thoroughly lovable beardie. He has been a joy, but is now brumating and not much fun at the moment.

I became so enamored of Hans that I acquired 2 new tiny red babies, from separate breeders and bloodlines, for pets and for future breeding. They are Flora and Porky (for now, I change their names often, but at 1 year old the names will stick), now 5 and 6 months old.

It's been fun watching these babies grow and mature. For those who research here to decide whether a BD is for you, understand that they are a lot of work and expensive to maintain, especially the babies. Please do not take on this responsibility lightly. The bearded dragon is an intelligent, loving and noble animal who deserves only the best.

Individual enclosures of at least 2' x 4' x 24"H are expensive to build or acquire. Lighting for proper basking temps, UVB lights (new every 6 months), temp gun, digital probe thermometers - costs add up. Young dragons eat a lot of live food - raising 2 babies has rivaled my own grocery bill. Calcium and vitamin supplements aren't cheap. Dark leafy greens must be provided every day, and they rot before all used up unless the house humans eat them along with the dragons. If you cannot afford the occasional visit to a reptile vet, reconsider this pet. Time must be invested in cleaning enclosures (daily in my case), bathing the dragons, hands-on bonding time, caring for the live feeders, researching BDs and their care.

This is a pet who needs constant care and a sizable $ budget. It's not that difficult to do it right. It just takes commitment and resources on your part. Please do your research, and only buy your pet when you are certain that you have the time and the money to properly care for this special creature.

Please do not buy your dragon until you have the proper enclosure, UVB, basking temps - all set up according to the wisdom that you will find on these pages. Husbandry first, dragon second. Add up the costs (both time and money) and make sure they will fit within your budget before committing to a bearded dragon.

Experienced beardie owners - please add to this thread any other considerations that prospective owners should take into account before jumping into the hobby. There are too many miserable BD's out there waiting for a rescue. Thanks.

Dan

pscaulkins

Extreme Poster
We should have a sticky on this topic. I don't think you left anything out Dan. Welcome to the forum also.

palomino

That's good advise which I am following. I haven't got my beardie yet as I am still in the research/set up stages. I swear I have put more thought and research into becoming a beardie owner than I ever have any of the other animals I have owned...including my horses. I admit I am starting to get a bit impatient but I want to make sure that I have the right temps and food for the beardie when I get it. It's definitely not like going to the pet store and picking up some community tropical fish.

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
:wave: Hello Dan & Welcome to BD.org! :D
Very great post! :D

Another thing that someone thinking about getting a beardie should think about and seek out is a good herp vet. In our area there are none we have to travel 3 hours when going to the vet. You don't want to wait until you need a vet to find a vet. You have to take into consideration that they need to have check-ups. And may need med's this can also run up the $$$. And to many people out there not on this board but in general do not see the importance in vet care for these awesome little guys.

One also might want to take into consideration that these awesome little creatures are very addictive.
An if you allow your addictive personalities to take over an end up with several like I have you may find yourself in the poor house just trying to pay your utility bill. If it weren't for the fact that I grow my own feeders I would definitely not beable to afford all of my precious beardies.

Again Great Post & Welcome to the Forum! :D

Dave94

Gray-bearded Member
Also, if your in Australia everything is basically doubled in price :lol:

I got 5 of these awesome reptiles and you really do need a job or have someone who can help you afford to house them, I'd also consider breeding roaches,crickets etc if your going to end up buying more then one (roaches over here cost 10dollars for about 30 roaches :shock: and my babies would knock them off in less then 5minutes, same as my adults)

Thinker

Original Poster
Palomino - I admire your due diligence, you won't regret it.

Dave94 - setting up a breeding colony of live food even before bringing home a beardie is an excellent idea. After spending my first few hundred $ on crickets, I finally wised up and have a good dubia colony. Many new owners are shocked at how much food these guys can put away each day. I know one gal who thinks that my beardies are obese. Her dragon is lucky to get a few crix each day and is half the size and weight that he should be. Pet store crickets can cost as much as $ .10/ea. If your baby is eating 25-50/day, are you prepared to keep it up? Buy bulk and save.

Parents: If you want to give your child a beardie pet please remember that ultimately you are responsible for its well-being. This can be a great education for your child, but you must take the lead to ensure that the dragon's needs are met. It is not as easy as feeding the cat and changing its litter box.

Prospective owners: Do not buy more that 1 bearded dragon, no matter what the pet shop clerk says. At least not until you are very experienced and know for sure what you are getting into. Do not take the pet shop's care advice seriously. Get your information from the care sheets and forums available on the internet.

I've seen people leave a pet store with 2 beardies, a 10 gallon aquarium, calci-sand, UTH, dragon pellets and a coil UVB. This is a formula for disaster.

I don't want to scare anyone away from beardie ownership. On the contrary, I encourage you to enter into this wonderful world. Just, please, study and prepare first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hseith
Top Bottom