beetles stink!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoey

Sub-Adult Member
What do you do with superworm beetles after you are done breeding them? I read somewhere that the most humane way to euthanize insects is to put the in the freezer. Now I could be wrong, but it does seem nicer than stomping on them, or setting them loose in my apartment complex.

Anyway, I put them in my freezer in a plastic rubbermaid container (50+ mature superworm beetles) and now my freezer and refrigerator stinks !!! Only those of you who breed supers will know what I am talking about! Its just awful! I feel like my food is contaminated now. :puke:

I guess they got their revenge... :angry5: :angry5: The up-side is that I now have possibly hundreds of tiny supersworms for Loki and Nico!

MojoThor

well ive got about 50 beetles right now, i was just gonna let them keep humping and breeding until they died on there own

invictusrules

Juvie Member
Yeah, I know that stink, but wow, I've never had 50 of them! Double ziploc in the freezer next time?

I've heard that newspaper is a good odor absorber in freezers/'fridges - crumple the pages lightly and change them out every day or so. Baking soda, too, is pretty good at de-stinking. Dump some on a plate (lots of surface area) or a bowl for fastest results.

Good luck and congats on the little wormies! :blob5:

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is their defense the stink glands. Why did you want to kill them for, they are still good for alot more eggs??
I keep ours for months & they just die of old age. I replenish the stock as they die off.
You could have just let them loose outside in a park or something.

Tracie

Zoey

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Yeah, I think next time i will just let them loose outside somewhere away from our apartment complex. The little guys served their purpose and I guess they deserved to live out their lives. I would have just let them breed until they died, but I think I've got enough little baby worms to last me a while. Man... that stink was awful! But for the most part it's gone now. My freezer needed a cleaning anyway. :?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Well, you have to think ahead. While you have worms for now, you will need to replenish your colony at a later date. Since they grow so slow, you will need to take adults from this batch to pupate & the beetles you just got rid of could have still been laying. They lay for quite awhile. :D

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom