Beetle in my roach chow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stycim

I discovered that there are a bunch of little beetles living in my dubia roach chow. Anyone know what they are? They're about 1/4" and red-brown in color. Can I keep using the food or should I dump it all and start over?

I know this isn't the best picture, but it was as good as I could get right now.
bcd667c1.jpg

RioReptiles

Sub-Adult Member
Most likely bol weevils, I get them in my Layena every once in a while. I put it in the blender, but I think you can microwave it for a few seconds or put it in the feezer over night to kill them.

drez

I also notice that I had a couple black beetles in my roach colony. The thing is that I had / have alot (around 30 or so) worms. They kinda look like really small super worms but they are brown and black. I took out the roach chow that I had in there and there are still a few with my dubia colony but I have no idea what they are or how they got there. My chow is a mix that I made of cat food, dragon pellets, turtle pellets, and fish food. I will try to remove all the worms in a day or two but in the mean time I put all the old roach chow in a container to see if these worms will grow to figure out what they are. I had a dead adult male roach a couple days ago and another dead nymph today but I'm thinking that it was more chance then these mystery bugs.

My colony is not being feed from yet so I want to make sure that these bugs are not something that will harm it in the long run. I will try to get photos up soon to see if u guys can help identify them. Any info would be great b

nair88

Gray-bearded Member
i have seen a couple little black beetles in with my colony as well. not sure where they came from, but they look like this:

carpet_beetle_LarveAdult.jpg

the one on the left, of course. i haven't seen any of the larvae in there. also, the adults i saw were dead - i haven't seen a living one yet. they are apparently called carpet beetles and they appear to be omnivores just like the roaches, so i don't think they could harm the roaches. they're just in there eating the roach food. of course, i don't like that idea either. anyone else have any input?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom