Becoming rescuer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that my wife has "shed" her anxieties about reptiles. I would like to start rescueing the lizards in my area. I'm not going to limit myself to Beardies. Being in a semi small town (Spokane, WA) there is no general education from pet stores about reptiles, and alot of mistakes are made. I feel I can cut that down.

We grow our own veggies, breed crickets for feeders, and the climate here in the summer is perfet for them.

I guess the only thing left, is advice from everyone. I think at first I will rescue Beardies, and a few snakes. Most of the reptiles out here come with viv's.
thoughts?

scalesandtales

Juvie Member
Do as much research as you can on each species before you get anything. Be able to answer any questions that might be thrown at you. Think of medical expenses ( injured rescues, checkups), time, care, food, lights, enclousures, best herp vet in your area. A great place to look for animal sin need is craigslist in the pet section, also on petfinder.com and search for local reptile rescues in your area and see if they need help, fosters. Make sure you have a quiet area in your house where they wont be bothered. Start going to petsmart, or other pet shops that don't have a clue what they are doing and hassle/harass them and try and teach them. Eventually they will realize you know what you are talking about and just start going to you for advise and refer people to you.
Jessica

ReverendVW

Original Poster
Great advice on major pet chains. That's definately one way to keep the wrong people from kiling more herps.

scalesandtales

Juvie Member
The Pet smart by me has their employees txt/call me when there's a problem with the reptiles. They got a new manager and i ripped her a new one when she tried to tell me that they only feed their bearded dragons 2 crickets a day.
Just inform them of proper husbandry and teach them everything you can. Most of the time they learn all of the wrong things from pet shops, so just teach the pet shops and they will spread the knowledge and end the cycle.

ReverendVW

Original Poster
Went to petco today. Brought Zues with us. The people seemed freindly enough, and most importantly....not surprised. They seemed knowledgable. I was amazed. They even mentioned the location of a herp vet!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FalkorBeardie :3
Top Bottom