Becoming less comfortable with me...

Status
Not open for further replies.

wicket15

Hi, guys. I know this is a post made by, like, everyone, but I just kind of had to vent.

I got my baby, Wicket, at the beginning of April, so I've had him for a little over three months. I made sure his husbandry was right weeks before I got him. I feed him multiple types of feeders. I generally try to make his little beardie life as nice as it can be.

And he hates me.

As time has gone on, he seems to get more and more uncomfortable around me, and I've tried every "taming" technique there is. I've tried putting a worn shirt in his enclosure to make him used to my scent. When I pick him up, I try to come from the sides, because I know coming from above freaks them out. I frequently put my hand in his cage without touching him in hopes that he'll realize I'm not always there to take him out. I try to leave him be so he won't stress out, while also being around as often as I can so he's used to humans moving around near him. And yet it seems like everyday he gets more uncomfortable with me. I do try to tong feed him often, and he'll do that, but that's about it.

When I first got him, he was fine with me petting him and he hardly ran from my hands. Now, he'll lick my finger and then sprint, so I have to chase him around any time I get him out. Just recently he started gaping/hissing at me when I come near him. I make sure to get him anyway, that way he knows hissing won't let him get his way, but it's really discouraging. He used to sleep like log at night, to the point I thought he'd died the next morning, and now when I try bonding that way, he literally wakes up terrified the moment he opens his eyes and darts away from me.

I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. I just keep thinking he'll grow out of it, or at least get used to me being around, and so far it's just been getting worse. I think he'll be hitting about five or six months old, and he's been growing/shedding a lot lately, so maybe he's just going through that grumpy teen stage or whatever that I hear about. But I don't know. I love him so much. I don't even want him to be "affectionate" with me, I just want him to tolerate my hand being in his cage at this point. :(

Do you guys think it might be teen angstiness? Does that start at 5-6 months? Or do I sound like I'm doing something wrong that would be making our progress take a backwards turn?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there....I've raised a lot of beardies, and they can be as sweet as pie or become grouchy with or without lots of handling. It may be somewhat related to the shed, so see how that goes as he gets through the shed. But just in case he really is becoming flighty + fearful, one thing that works consistently at least to help you to be able to hold him is to pick him up, hold him to your chest and just sit with him like that for 10 minutes or so. When you go to pick him up, do it slowly and be calm yourself. Once you have him and are holding him to your body [ gently but firmly even if he struggles ] just talk softly....this may or may not do anything, but it can't hurt and it will calm YOU down. Once you've done this for about a week, move to a small enclosed room and let him choose to sit with you and/or run the room. Keep a glove handy in case he decides to bite....most dragons won't but you don't want to find out the hard way. Again, all your movements should be slow when carrying him and keep loud noises + other things away from him. He should mellow out + you can increase the bonding time. :)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
see above + offer him a food treat that you know he really likes each time , and a few times while he's on you.... he'll soon come to know you are his NICE human and will associate your handling with getting something he really likes.

You can also pat him while he's eating , he'll soon discover that gentle touching is nice and will start demanding it and contact time if he finds it relaxing.

Works a treat with wild skinks too , not just captive bred dragons and skinks , BUT YOU HAVE to be patient and let the lizard go at his own pace and decide when he's ready to take human contact to a higher level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JGFill
Top Bottom