Beardos moving

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beardo50

Hey guys. Gonna start my new project and build a new house for my 4 year old buddy as i have him in a 55 gallon exo terra tank and he needs more room as he has out grown this tank big time. I built one years ago for a rankins dragon, which for those of you who don't know, are a dwarf species of the typical dragons that we all know and love. Yes there is a smaller version of dragon, although rarely offered in the pet trade. I'm going to build a plywood tank aprox 56" long x 19" wide x 24" high. I'm planning on using good one side or (g1s) fir plywood as i did for the one mentioned, but when i built the original one i didn't seal the plywood with anything. Just siliconed the seams and that was it. The dragon seemed fine in this set up and had no ill affects. Back then i was told not to use pine or spruce plywood as they contain oils and other stuff that would eventually kill the dragon. Now i hear everyone who builds enclosures and see on youtube and their saying to seal the plywood with water based sealers? Is this necessary? If there is anybody with a clear understanding of this please let me know. Much appreciated. PS. Once i get viv built i will post pics with the big guy lounging in it. Cheers!!!!!!!!!!!!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
From what I've read, people are sealing their enclosures with Polyurethane and then letting it set in a well ventilated area for a few weeks before putting it into use. I've heard the Polyurethane takes more time to set/off gas but it's preferred over Polycrylic because it's more durable and does a better job protecting against moisture. I don't have experience building an enclosure, that's just what I've been reading. Your tank will be a nice size. You may want to consider making it slightly wider perhaps. 24'' seems to be a good standard. 19'' wide is still slightly wider than the Exo Terra though so no big deal.

Ed707

Hatchling Member
I'm no expert but my thoughts are people seal there enclosure to make it easier to clean up messes such as poops and water spills. As far as I know (there are probably more) but pine and cedar are toxic to them so you want to stay away from those. I built my enclosure and sealed the bottom and halfway up the sides jic for clean up cause shes not going to poop on the ceiling. With no sealer if water spills and sits it will rot and ruin your enclosure. I have slate tile on top of shelf liner on top of newspaper and she usually only poops in one area so it really wasn't needed. It's up to you, I really don't think you need to seal the whole enclosure though. Silicone the cracks definitely and seal the bottom/sides if you want.

Beardo50

Original Poster
Thanx ed707 for the info. My guy doesn't go in his home anyway always goes in his bath but i think your right in the thought that the bottom and the walls to coat is a good idea. Any spilled water will stain and blacken the wood. Im gonna start the new enclosure in a week or so if i can ever get a break from work. Cheers!!

Ed707

Hatchling Member
Yea it took me awhile only reason I got it done as fast as I did is because it was a xmas present. If you need anything help with anything else just ask

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brikev9799
Top Bottom