Beardies sleeping outside their tanks...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,
My kids have started taking the beardies out of their tanks in the evening to cuddle with them. They wrap them up in a warm soft blanket (he has one and she has the other/ or they are out individually) and they pass out and will sleep in the blanket all night long if they let them. I told them that they need to sleep in their tanks because they need uninterrupted sleep. Is them doing this bad at all? They both act normal in their day to day routines of laying around basking, eating "salad" crickets/roaches and or pooping.
Is it normal for them to deficate in the pretty much the same exact spot every time? Both of mine have found a place they like to poop and it happens to be at one end of the tank so I will just tear off paper towels that have poop on them and replace them if I am not changing the whole tank worth of towels. I really like having paper towels as a substrate... it makes clean up so easy.

Thank you in advance for any replies :D

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
As long as it stays warm enough it should be OK. I prefer to let my guy fall asleep outside the tank if he wants to but I put him back in his tank when I go to bed. That way his lights will wake him up on schedule and he'll warm up before breakfast.

It's pretty common for them to get into a routine and want to poop in a specific spot. I take advantage and build that into the morning routine. My dragon comes out for a morning bask, breakfast, and usually poops on vinyl floor which is really easy to clean and sanitize.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
It's fine if they are actually slerping well and they stay warm, but you have to beware "rolling over on the beardie" if you fall asleep with them. I never recommend sleeping with them in a bed, as we just had someone kill their adult beardie, they woke up and he was literally FLAT. Many parrots die this way too...?

Dragonsandherps

Original Poster
My kids are both doing homeschooling and they both keep a strange sleep schedule. They both are up all night and sleep during the day. So when they are up cuddling with them, they are up and at em... the beardies are safe in that respect. Thank you though!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Perfectly fine ... nothing better , and snuggling up against a nice warm human body is bliss for the beardies (and the human body is perfect temperatures for them too).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New & NoClue
Top Bottom