Beardies Personalities

Status
Not open for further replies.

tf2185

Ok so I've heard a lot of people say that bearded dragons don't have emotions and whatnot. I was just wondering what eveyones opinion on this was. The reason I ask is because I swear my dragon Tiny, my oldest male, is a bit protective at times. I think it's hilarious but my boyfriend thinks I'm crazy. There's been quite a few times that my fiancée and I would be fake fighting and when he "hits" me Tiny would completly flip out black bearding and head bobbing at him. I know it's not any of our other dragons cuz they don't even see each other plus if I take him out afterwards the boyfriend gets almost bitten while I get cuddles. It's not that he isn't used onto my boyfriend or anything cuz he is, they are normally fine together unless like I said we start fake fighting and stuff. I don't know, I just thought I would share it with you guys. My Tiny has always been a bit special, always making me questioneverything i know about dragons. Anyone else experience anything similar?

david0501

Juvie Member
Personally, my little guy is like a puppy, he runs around my bed, licks everything and is very interested in what's going on lol, he legit follows me with his head as I walk buy lol.

daner923

Gray-bearded Member
Oh, I think they have emotions, they're just not as developed as mammals generally. They can be mad, or scared. I'm not sure about "protective" or "happy," but they do have ways to express "happiness." Sounds like Tiny is very special though :D

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
I believe you. Your beardie is a special guy. He reminds me of a dog we had many years ago when I was still in High School. My mother would hit me, not hard or anything, just to make him bark. Your Tiny sounds like our dog. He's been gone for years but he was special. Every beardie is special and has their own personality. They are as unique as humans in my opinion. We've had a total of 7 beardies, no more than 2 at a time as we can't really deal with more than two. One warned my husband of a car that came out of an alley suddenly very fast and she was sitting on the dashboard of our vehicle and let him know and showed an intense relief when the car missed them. Another helped him find the correct way back to our vehicle when we were out riding our quads and came to a place where we didn't remember which way to go back but since my husband had stopped and oriented her as to where we were and where to we turned, etc. she let him know which way we should turn and she was right. We called her our service animal. She helped him especially when his blood sugar level dropped (you can feel it) as he has hypoglycemia which is the opposite of diabetes.

I hope this helps you understand the intelligence of these beardies. Take time with them and teach them things, the curious ones will love to learn. They also learn what you are saying. We were just soaking our girls and I was telling my hubby that when I took them out of the water I would put them into their tanks for awhile so they could completely dry off and not get too cold and/or sick. Our new baby (got her on November7th from fed-ex delivery - another story in itself) Lil Squirt turned toward me ready for me to take her out of the water. They are soo intelligent.

Momswims1

Juvie Member
This is apparently a hot topic, but I believe and KNOW that beardies feel certain emotions, like fear, anger, aggression, excitement (show my girls a superworm and watch the excitement!). As far as love....I know my beardies are bonded to us, Frankie more to my son, Rosie and Kitty more to me. Rosie will turn to my voice and try her best to get to me if someone else is holding her. Frankie does that with my son.

Rosie goes to sleep every night with her chin laying up on my chin. She will crawl from another part of the bed to get in that position. They put their faces up against our faces, etc. I believe that bonding, in a way, is a part of love. Of course they don't feel mushy gushy romantic love, like a human, but they certainly do show affection and bonding. If people have not had that level of bonding with their beardie, I feel bad for them.

Maybe beardies have different personalities or have been through experiences that keep them from bonding. That I do believe that is possible. We got all three of ours as tiny hatchlings and we are all they have ever known.

I think they are amazing, and if they are not able to love us...who cares. We love them incredibly!

ohmybandit

Sub-Adult Member
Momswims1":2ix8q37m said:
Maybe beardies have different personalities or have been through experiences that keep them from bonding. That I do believe that is possible.
I think they are amazing, and if they are not able to love us...who cares. We love them incredibly!

I also believe beardies love their owners! :love5: I left Bandit alone in the room with my bf and I went into the kitchen, when I started talking she took off to follow my voice and stood at my feet. I don't think I've ever aw'd so much. I love that little monster. She follows me around the house like a puppy or will always have me in direct line of sight :)

PeppersGirl

Juvie Member
They are special. Human relations aside, when I brought home my second beardie I really started to notice the difference. Who else here has a lizard that smiles a lot? My female does; especially when I lure her out of bed with a dandelion or she's basking outside. It took a while as she was a case of neglect... about four months but now I can see it all the time. In comparison, my male Pepper (that I've had for 4 years) almost never smiles - it's more like he thinks he's above it.

Killzone3265

Juvie Member
PeppersGirl":18r4d871 said:
They are special. Human relations aside, when I brought home my second beardie I really started to notice the difference. Who else here has a lizard that smiles a lot? My female does; especially when I lure her out of bed with a dandelion or she's basking outside. It took a while as she was a case of neglect... about four months but now I can see it all the time. In comparison, my male Pepper (that I've had for 4 years) almost never smiles - it's more like he thinks he's above it.
my male, skittles, will have a smirk on his face and the spikes on his sides will have a yellow tint when he is happy :p

Killzone3265

Juvie Member
PeppersGirl":17ergpeq said:
:D Aw! One day, science will catch up.

i hope so :) i love these little guys
when i take him out to sleep on me for a while, he looks straight into my eyes with a face that just reads happiness c:

PatsyB

I believe they show emotion. When Dexter is left alone for too long we will find him sulking with his head on his vine looking towards the door waiting for someone to come in. And when we scratch him right behind is ears he closes his eyes and turns to mush!

I've also noticed that he's bonding with our cat Sasha. When I put the crickets in his tank for dinner she will watch the crickets and Dexter will watch her to see where she is looking and then he will go and get the cricket!

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
Just over a week ago we went to a sort of nearby larger town for shopping (also warmer than our area) and we were going to take Rosie with us but she was getting hormonal so we left her home. She felt she did something wrong and it showed in her face when we got home. I decided to leave her home because I didn't want her being rambunctious in a car all day long. They do have feelings and, especially when you get to know them, you can see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom